• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I may be done with Optics Planet

You are correct. We do see it differently. If a company makes an error and offers to refund me my money, I'd never claim they are "stealing from me". Sounds like PA is on top of it and went above and beyond what is expected.
I get why you are annoyed. I'd be too. But you yourself admitted you've done 'tons' of business with them for 'years' and hadn't had any issues. Now suddenly, a single listing on their site contains outdated information (as the manufacturer confirmed) and they offered to refund your money but that isn't good enough. You want to profit from their mistake. This is why I could never have a job dealing with the public. Apparently great service for years and they make one error and are willing to make you whole yet you are calling them thieves. :confused: To you that is apparently perfectly reasonable. Again, yes, we see it differently. If you do a deal here with a member and get home and realize something is missing and the seller apologizes and offers to refund you the money or somehow make you whole, and you go into the forums and say they are "stealing from you" I promise you, that won't fly. Neither would a negative.
Are you 'wrong' to expect them to honor their ad? No, I don't think so. Unless of course it is clearly an error (as it apparently is) and prices on other websites confirm that. If they haven't corrected their ad still then that is another poor dealing on their part. You can decide if that is intentional on their part or another sign of their apparent sloppy practices. I've only ordered a few things from them and previously DVOR over the years and never had an issue. You also have had good service save this one issue. But the countless complaints on these boards about their questionable billing/shipping/back order practices, has me generally avoiding them.
Again, the only thing I'm taking any exception to is you characterizing your scenario as being a victim of theft. You are not. They've offered to make you whole and you have chosen to not accept it.

So far they haven’t offered to make me whole. They’ve implied that it may be a possibility, if certain conditions are or aren’t met. They didn’t direct me to go to their website and start the return process or provide an RMA and shipping label or anything really to that end. They provided a f’in’ coupon link as a gesture of pacification. So, so far, they’ve taken payment for an item that is incomplete and aren’t really making a very simple effort to remedy the situation. They’re kicking it back to the manufacturer, with whom I’ve already communicated. I’ll agree that characterizing it as theft was maybe going out on a limb on my part, but hey, call a spade a spade. Again, agree to disagree.

So far they haven’t offered to make me whole. They’ve implied that it may be a possibility, if certain conditions are or aren’t met. They didn’t direct me to go to their website and start the return process or provide an RMA and shipping label or anything really to that end. They provided a f’in’ coupon link as a gesture of pacification. So, so far, they’ve taken payment for an item that is incomplete and aren’t really making a very simple effort to remedy the situation. They’re kicking it back to the manufacturer, with whom I’ve already communicated. I’ll agree that characterizing it as theft was maybe going out on a limb on my part, but hey, call a spade a spade. Again, agree to disagree.
They offered me a 10% coupon, and said that I could return the item if I wanted..
I took that to mean if you want to return it for a refund, you could.

I took that to mean if you want to return it for a refund, you could.
Sorry, and that was a misrepresentation from me in the beginning. I went back and re-read their email and it was conditional. “As a last resort, the item can always be returned and exchanged for a new unit or refund if we are unable to have the missing parts sent.” Copied and pasted directly from their email after “This process is reliant on the manufacturer.” No apology for the mistake or misrepresentation of the item. They’re blaming the manufacturer and kicking the responsibility to them. From the one time I returned something, went back and looked and they withheld the shipping cost from the refund. So there’s that, potentially, too. I’m just prepared to move on... as I said, I’m not expecting anything, and I’m not going to return it, even if it comes to that point.

Are you surprised? You said you always defended them over the years. Defended, meaning you stuck up for them when everyone else was telling you their alternative experience. This means you either didn't believe all the contrary issues with them or you thought that positive experiences out there overwhelmed the negative. Now you have had your first bad experience:
1.) If you didn't believe everyone else before and do now, then you should ask for a refund and never do business with them again.
2.) If you still believe that all your positive experiences outweigh the negative, then why get so upset? I mean, Chik-fil-a screwed up one of my orders in 10 years and that sure didn't make me throw in the towel.
So....which one is it?

So, I’ve always defended OP because over the years I’ve done a ton of business (I.e., spent a lot of money) with them and I’ve never had any problems. My orders were always right and always shipped on time. Back orders were filled in a reasonable timeframe, and the rare (only 1) return was handled well. Fast forward to now when you can’t get anyone on the phone and there’s no chat, just emails with horrible turn around time. That being said, I’ve made many recent purchases and they have been arriving just fine.

I ordered a complete upper from them recently. It was back ordered, and although the wait was long, it did ship much sooner than I expected it to. It arrived swiftly, and was everything that I expected, EXCEPT it was missing a component that the listing clearly stated as included (in more than one location in the description). I messaged the manufacturer, who said that the component hasn’t been included with the upper in some time and the listing was erroneous. The manufacturer, by the way, answered me within the hour. OP took days. Their response (even after I informs them of the manufacturer’s communication), was that they would reach out to the manufacturer and that it would likely be several more days before they could tell me what they said. They offered me a 10% coupon, and said that I could return the item if I wanted. All I wanted was for the item/component to be sent to me, or a comparable item, or store credit in a fair amount. None of these remedies was offered.

So here we are. I am not going to return the upper because I want it, and I believe that the manufacturer has no obligation to make this right since I bought their item from OP, not directly. In the end, OP is stealing from me as I have an incomplete item and paid the complete price for what was supposed to be included per their listing. I don’t think I was unreasonable in asking for what I did. I’m keeping the upper, waiting for my last back order to be filled, an - if no satisfactory resolution is come to - will not but from them again.

I will stick with Primary Arms, who recently went above and beyond to make a similar situation right, but that’s a story for another time.

I like Primary Arms a lot. they ship fast and never any drama.

Back
Top Bottom