• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need an Atlanta dealer to ship a firearm to an FFL / Gunsmith because UPS and FedEx suck

It's perfectly legal to ship it USPS. No ammo in the package, no identification of contents on exterior of the package, and it has to be expressed shipped. It's a good idea to take out insurance. Like the member mentioned in post above as long as it goes to a FFL you are golden. No handguns but long guns are good to go.
Legality is not the question. UPS and Fedex both have new policies that say no firearms to be shipped by un-licensed individuals. The problem with putting false labels on it such as "machine parts" etc. is that if it were lost or stolen in transit, they would be exempt from having to pay your insurance claim if you did not label it correctly. As for the legality, it is just as legal to ship a handgun via UPS or Fedex or other private carrier as it is to ship a long gun. It is only USPS that makes it illegal for an un-licensed individual to to ship a handgun.

Expensive machine parts.

Or "Instrumentation"
Machined parts is my go to, then I'll tell them it's not fragile as long as they do their due diligence and not run it over with their trucks or smash it in a conveyor belt. They hurry it along after I tell them how many packages come to me beat to sh!!.

The few times I've needed to ship a gun and the FFL wasn't paying I just brought it to Adventure Outdoors and had them ship it.

If I remember it was something like $35 and they handle everything and are on the hook if something goes wrong.

Or if the gunsmith can send you a label you can use UPS, just remember it has to be a depot, not a store.

Legality is not the question. UPS and Fedex both have new policies that say no firearms to be shipped by un-licensed individuals. The problem with putting false labels on it such as "machine parts" etc. is that if it were lost or stolen in transit, they would be exempt from having to pay your insurance claim if you did not label it correctly. As for the legality, it is just as legal to ship a handgun via UPS or Fedex or other private carrier as it is to ship a long gun. It is only USPS that makes it illegal for an un-licensed individual to to ship a handgun.
Oooh! Not good!

The few times I've needed to ship a gun and the FFL wasn't paying I just brought it to Adventure Outdoors and had them ship it.

If I remember it was something like $35 and they handle everything and are on the hook if something goes wrong.

Or if the gunsmith can send you a label you can use UPS, just remember it has to be a depot, not a store.
That's what I do is take it to an FFL. I got a buddy up here has a gun shop. He usually does a great job shipping and it's actually half the cost of the USPS. He puts it in a hard case wraps it in that pallet plastic wrap and then puts the hard case in a cardboard box with packing material around it. There's no chance for the gun to get dinged up or fouled up in any way. It's worth every cent of it.

I have an HK 91 converted to an MSG 90 that needs to be shipped to Bahnhoff Machine in Florida for repair. The bolt carrier is binding and he may need to straighten the receiver… Both FedEx and UPS now will not ship firearms from individuals. I would prefer someone in Sandy Springs area if possible. Obvously , I would pay the freight and what ever service charge to dealer would charge. It’s too big for shipmygun.com.

thanks in advance

I do not trust the post office, their customer service is horrendous in Sandy Springs. They have stolen 2 red dot sites ( they claimed were delivered despite my cameras having no evidence of anyone attempting to do so), and lost a registered Sterling tube for a month, while in route to my SOT.
shipping a Telescope insured for $3000 isnt against the rules;)

I always use usps and insure for more than it is worth, never had an issue and I have shipped somewhere around 50 different times
UPS has changed their rules, have you shipped since then? Also, if they lose or damage it you will have to divulge to them what was in the package for the claim. At that point, they will decline your claim on the basis of the fact you violated their rules. So, I wouldn't waste money on the extra insurance because I can almost guarantee they won;t pay off. I ship with them all the time(non-firearm related) and they rarely pay off on damaged and lost packages these days.

Back
Top Bottom