• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need help building a AR

slatkifrajer

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
this will be my first build and I got money for the parts , but honestly I have never done this with guns , so if you guys know any good websites, videos or books that could help me I would appreciate it!!!! it's probably not that hard but like I said I have never tried it

It's really not that hard. Some common sense and correct tools are a great start.

There are some guys on here that know there stuff . I'm sure they will be more than happy to help :0)

There are some good videos on YouTube on this subject too.

I just built my first couple. It's not hard. Watch a couple videos. Get the tools you need. But decent parts. You'll be fine. And you can get really good deals on complete uppers if you want to go that route and make it easier

If I had to recommend one site that would cover it all and have really good parts I would have to say Rainier Arms. Their barrels are spectacular, there upper and lower parts are all good parts and you can find something you like on there and find somewhere else for less money. Don't be intimidated by these guns. They are very easy to do. There are tons of websites that walk you through literally every aspect of the platform. Just take your time and make sure to listen to everything you hear and it will make sense when you are assembling.

Now that has been established we need to know what kind of budget you are working with. We might need to steer you in a different direction if Rainier Arms is out of play. Rainier Arms has great parts but they come with a premium. You can still build a great little gun without having to sift through the high dollar stuff. The best advice I can give you is spend the bulk of your money on the Bolt carrier group, barrel and trigger. The rest is just aesthetics anyway. There is something to say about a really good set of receivers but if your budget doesn't allow for high line receivers and the parts I mentioned then just go with a good mil-spec set of receivers and stick with the good parts I mentioned as must haves. You can always go back and upgrade later after the build is complete. Once you build it you will be able to switch out parts in a jiffy. Just make sure the tolerances are good at the front take down pin. That fit can make a rifle feel like a good build or a piece of crap. It will still shoot but it will rattle and make the build seem cheap and done with a lake of attention to detail. Everything else can be taken care of with specialty parts. If at all possible get your receivers from somewhere local where you can put your hands on them so you check fitment. I have had to send rifles back because the tolerances were so out of wack it was ridiculous and that was a 1,600 dollar gun. I am just a little anal about receiver fitment because no matter what the budget the gun doesn't have to sound like a baby rattle when it's moved around.

There are plenty of members of here that can give you invaluable information on a build. To list a few, Cmshoot, RedX, Wallace and I can throw in a few tips here and there. Most of these guys are happy to help you through a sticking point so don't hesitate to ask. You can PM me with a budget and I can recommend a few places to look. I also recommend throwing a PM out to the other guys because they might have used some other manufacturers that I haven't and you can base you decision based on what you like.

Other than that all I can say if nothing else is take your time and enjoy the experience and don't get in a hurry to complete it. That can lead to bad decisions. Good luck my friend.

I guess I will ask the question, what are you planning on using it for? Punching paper, precision shooting, 3 gun, hunting (what game), caliber, etc. There are a lot of options depending on your wants and needs. I hunt with a lot of mine, so they are set up with being in the woods in mind. Mine get scratched and wet during the course of the season. If you can dream it, someone probable make it for an AR15.

Building them is not hard; just can be very frustrating when you drop/launch some of the small parts and have to hunt for them.:doh::doh:

Back
Top Bottom