• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need help finding a leak.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
Mother's house has a water leak. Plumber buddy of mine said it could very well be incoming (from the street/reservoir). I need someone to find this son of a bitch, as we just recently had fix one within the kitchen walls. Ideally I'd to trade out of a revolver for this, and renegotiate the actual repair. I will gladly be out there with you digging the yard up if need be. Let me know.

I am not a plumber, but I as a member of ODT I am an expert on almost everything (as all members are),

1.Turn off all cut off valves in the house ( faucets, toilets, etc.) 2.Then check the meter to see if it is "spinning". 3.If it is not spinning, the problem is in the house. 4.If it is spinning, the problem is somewhere from the meter and the house. 5.Trace the line from the meter to the house and look for wet spots. 5. call plumber and get out checkbook.

It may be best to start with 5.

I’m no plumber but assuming by leak that you mean using an excessive amount of water monthly.
Turn off water at house (as main enters home) watch meter if it shows flow then its between house and meter.

And if by chance you have polybutylene from street to house or worse in house , not good.

I had a problem where the water bill worked out to be a gallon an hour for a month.

Knowing that kind of leak wouldn’t br hard to find. Something wasn’t right, so I paid to have the meter replaced.

After the meter was replaced they admitted that the meter was not read correctly and the whole problem was I was overcharged because they misread my meter.

Reactions: MRM
If the leak isn't at the meter or the foundation... it's usually a huge waste of time to chase a leak. Even if there's a wet spot in the yard, there's no guarantees it's within 20' of the wetness.

Turn off the water at the main cutoff in the house. Check the meter dial for movement. If moving, your problem is outside. Get someone to quote replacing the line.

Back
Top Bottom