• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need help finding a leak.

I know there is poly inside.
It's likely that the water service is poly also. It's probably worth the the time to dig at the meter to see what color the service line is. The main reason I mention it - when you repair a poly water service it's common for the pipe to fail in a different weak location pretty soon after. If you have the means it's better to replace the service than to repair it multiple times. I've replaced several myself, but I don't do that type of work anymore.

Mother's house has a water leak. Plumber buddy of mine said it could very well be incoming (from the street/reservoir). I need someone to find this son of a *****, as we just recently had fix one within the kitchen walls. Ideally I'd to trade out of a revolver for this, and renegotiate the actual repair. I will gladly be out there with you digging the yard up if need be. Let me know.

Make sure all your johns aren't leaking before digging. I installed a new one last year and it leaked from day one although I didn't know it till it ran up a big water bill. I had to go online to see how it clear it - one of the new fangled kind of insides.

If it is leaking between meter and house, you should have some soft spots in ground. Poke around with a steel rod or stout stick pointed on the end.

Mother's house has a water leak. Plumber buddy of mine said it could very well be incoming (from the street/reservoir). I need someone to find this son of a *****, as we just recently had fix one within the kitchen walls. Ideally I'd to trade out of a revolver for this, and renegotiate the actual repair. I will gladly be out there with you digging the yard up if need be. Let me know.

While waiting for this to be repaired have yer Maw go to the kitchen sink or bathtub and turn both hot / cold to the maximum. You will be at the water meter and her inside house so use phones to communicate with each other. When she has the water turned up high (max) slowly turn the water meter *down* using a "key", vice grips, etc.

This will reduce the amount of pressure going thru the line into the house which will save you, I mean yer maw a little while waiting fer it to be fixed but there will be enough pressure to take a shower, etc. in the mean time.

Your willing to help dig and help fix this? Well then, your Maw should be SO glad her efforts raising you properly turned out good! :thumb:

Listen, I am NO "expert" but fixing this kind of problem are much easier than you can imagine. Hopefully the water line is not buried 33' deep ( :sick: ) but if it is, it is. I seen your later post where you found a wet area and that's real good news! I myself would think if the line has been down fer some time it will probably be galvanized (?). Is this an older house or newer? Has the line been replaced as far as yer Maw knows?

I have pick / shovel and always up to a challenge and would be willing to come and at least look at the situation free of charge. Knowing me it will be hard to hold off from grabbing me pick / shovel and beginning to help you help yer Maw though :hat:

Depending on the type of water line there are several options on repairing all pretty cheap and fairly easy to repair. I would NOT just replace the whole line unless that's what you really want to do? If you did, and wanted PEX, I have the crimping tool and "some" assorted gadgets that are used. Again, no biggie but I wouldn't just run a new line unless Maw wanted to do that? She would be looking at maybe $100 - $200 fer the PEX depending on how far it is and if only 25' - 50' from house to meter under $100.

My fee's? :evil:

1) Gas in the vehicle that I will use to and fro----> ( car = $20 / truck = $30 )

2) Maybe some of Maws Fried Chicken if she does this? If not...it's ok!

3) Maybe a "thanks" but that's not even required as this should be the way things happen and did happen long ago. :star:

4) Your word that you OR your Maw will try to "push" money on me after everything is done, and I am ready to head back home.

That's it. I cannot come tomorrow but any day after I am willing / ready. That's very nice for you to be around trying to help your Maw Sir! Very nice! Let me know via messaging system if I can be of assistance and i'll start gathering tools, spare clothes, etc.

While waiting for this to be repaired have yer Maw go to the kitchen sink or bathtub and turn both hot / cold to the maximum. You will be at the water meter and her inside house so use phones to communicate with each other. When she has the water turned up high (max) slowly turn the water meter *down* using a "key", vice grips, etc.

This will reduce the amount of pressure going thru the line into the house which will save you, I mean yer maw a little while waiting fer it to be fixed but there will be enough pressure to take a shower, etc. in the mean time.

Your willing to help dig and help fix this? Well then, your Maw should be SO glad her efforts raising you properly turned out good! :thumb:

Listen, I am NO "expert" but fixing this kind of problem are much easier than you can imagine. Hopefully the water line is not buried 33' deep ( :sick: ) but if it is, it is. I seen your later post where you found a wet area and that's real good news! I myself would think if the line has been down fer some time it will probably be galvanized (?). Is this an older house or newer? Has the line been replaced as far as yer Maw knows?

I have pick / shovel and always up to a challenge and would be willing to come and at least look at the situation free of charge. Knowing me it will be hard to hold off from grabbing me pick / shovel and beginning to help you help yer Maw though :hat:

Depending on the type of water line there are several options on repairing all pretty cheap and fairly easy to repair. I would NOT just replace the whole line unless that's what you really want to do? If you did, and wanted PEX, I have the crimping tool and "some" assorted gadgets that are used. Again, no biggie but I wouldn't just run a new line unless Maw wanted to do that? She would be looking at maybe $100 - $200 fer the PEX depending on how far it is and if only 25' - 50' from house to meter under $100.

My fee's? :evil:

1) Gas in the vehicle that I will use to and fro----> ( car = $20 / truck = $30 )

2) Maybe some of Maws Fried Chicken if she does this? If not...it's ok!

3) Maybe a "thanks" but that's not even required as this should be the way things happen and did happen long ago. :star:

4) Your word that you OR your Maw will try to "push" money on me after everything is done, and I am ready to head back home.

That's it. I cannot come tomorrow but any day after I am willing / ready. That's very nice for you to be around trying to help your Maw Sir! Very nice! Let me know via messaging system if I can be of assistance and i'll start gathering tools, spare clothes, etc.
You got my vote for 'Best Post in a While"

You got my vote for 'Best Post in a While"

See #3 below:

I really wish I would have sent my post via PM instead of publicly. :cupcake:

I do not feel I am offering anything other than that's *just how things should work* ? Sadly......things just don't happen like that too often anymore. He is trying to help his Maw out I would be bonkers accepting ANYTHING other than maybe my gas and some fried chicken (if possible) :hat:

He is the real winner of the "best post in awhile" award in my book, not me! A son trying to help his Maw ANYWAY / ANYTHING it takes including giving away one of his pistols? Now there is *good Man* and no f-in way would I EVEN consider that. Maybe let Maw have it in case she needs to defend herself / defend her castle at some point and I Hope to God that NEVER EVER happens (even to me).

Reactions: MRM
If this wasn't on the other side of the world, I have a trencher and mini ex.
I could run an 18" depth trench (that's current code for a water line), dig up the meter area, and where it comes into the house in no time.
I'm sure you can find someone local to do the digging for a couple few hundred bucks.
South side is just too far for me. All my business is within 5 miles from me and these people pay TOP dollar here.

REMEMBER.......CALL 811, Call Before you Dig. There is an emergency request part if you need to do the repair right away.

And PEX is the way to go.

If this wasn't on the other side of the world, I have a trencher and mini ex.
I could run an 18" depth trench (that's current code for a water line), dig up the meter area, and where it comes into the house in no time.
I'm sure you can find someone local to do the digging for a couple few hundred bucks.
South side is just too far for me. All my business is within 5 miles from me and these people pay TOP dollar here.

REMEMBER.......CALL 811, Call Before you Dig. There is an emergency request part if you need to do the repair right away.

And PEX is the way to go.

All this for a leak in a water line? Surely you would locate the leak to evaluate before digging up the meter area, etc. and just replacing the whole line at the customers expense?

Surely if it was yer Maw's house and her funds may be limited you would make the drive to help her out wouldn't you? Would you feel comfortable if she called you saying a contractor is coming over to trench (ching) / dig (chang) / replace (ouch) / and then he needs $100 on top of all that for a gas surcharge being the place is 50 miles away?

What are you going to say to your Maw on limited funds if this happens in the future? Are you telling me your Maw calls you crying that her roof has a leak and water is dripping down in her living room to just have the roofers come over and rent a big roll back dumpster then tear everything off, then replace with new? If she was loaded with money yea, no problem, but what if she was on a budget?

A simple fix may have been $100 by someone with *strong integrity* verses what, $2,000 + for a "rip & run" ?

No offense to anyone, but I find it funny reading some of the responses offering advise, but nobody willing to actually even go and look things over without money being the motive, since this IS a fellow Outdoor Trader member that is willing to grab a shovel if needed and help. Sigh........

All this for a leak in a water line? Surely you would locate the leak to evaluate before digging up the meter area, etc. and just replacing the whole line at the customers expense?

Surely if it was yer Maw's house and her funds may be limited you would make the drive to help her out wouldn't you? Would you feel comfortable if she called you saying a contractor is coming over to trench (ching) / dig (chang) / replace (ouch) / and then he needs $100 on top of all that for a gas surcharge being the place is 50 miles away?

What are you going to say to your Maw on limited funds if this happens in the future? Are you telling me your Maw calls you crying that her roof has a leak and water is dripping down in her living room to just have the roofers come over and rent a big roll back dumpster then tear everything off, then replace with new? If she was loaded with money yea, no problem, but what if she was on a budget?

A simple fix may have been $100 by someone with *strong integrity* verses what, $2,000 + for a "rip & run" ?

No offense to anyone, but I find it funny reading some of the responses offering advise, but nobody willing to actually even go and look things over without money being the motive, since this IS a fellow Outdoor Trader member that is willing to grab a shovel if needed and help. Sigh........

Thought this was a POLY line?
Those just get replaced man.
If you try and patch and rig up poly, you'll be back in the next week or month doing another fix.

And i'm not a plumber, nor replace water lines. I was merely saying if he was local, i'd do the digging aspect for him CHEAP or even FREE if i was already in the area, and someone else to replace the line. I never said $2000 or anything near that amount. Never said a dollar amount, period.

STOP MAKING UP NONSENSE. Get your facts right before you start posting a bunch of poo poo on here. Sounds like yankee talk to me.

Back
Top Bottom