• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need help from the brain trust.

Parker

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
Hello all.

I cranked out my first 10 rounds ever on my Dillon square deal tonight.

It's an old press I bought off of eBay and was set up for 45acp, but came with the conversion for 9mm. Which is what I'm loading.

I switched everything over as best I knew and had some help from YouTube.

I'm still having an issue with the up stroke after a case is flared and charged with powder. The ram wants to hang up about 1/2 way down. I can jiggle it some and it'll go or I can put a little force to it and it'll go. If there isn't a case in the #2 spot it is smooth. What could be causing this hang up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If "down stroke" refers to the platform movement:

It could be:

If your cases are not properly cleaned on the inside, they will stick onto the powder drop nozzel. Nickel cases will also get hung on it do to their lack of malleability caused by the nickel.

The screw that holds the shell plate on is designed to break if the press jamms on the down stroke. So, be gental.

Is it when the powder dispenser is returning? What powder are you using? It's been a while but I think I remember that dispenser can be sticky with some powder shapes.

If your media is in decent shape, the cases will get clean enough without any added polishing ingredients, just run them longer. I used to use a used dryer sheet floating in the media. It seemed to catch all the dirt, but it also created a sticky substance that fouled my cases.

I tumble mine for six hours and use corn cob from GA Arms. It came in a ten pound drum, and it is now 5 years later--using the same drum.

Your problem could also be the , powder system--as mentioned before, or the replaceable plastic pieces in the press. Dillon sells an overhaul kit.

I would try running some cases with the powder system removed, just to try and isolate your problem.

It has been a long time since I sold my Square Deal, the memory is foggy at this point.

Back
Top Bottom