• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need help

The issue sounds like a double charge to me -- easy to do on a 45. I am assuming a 45 because a nine is hard to double charge unless you are loading light to begin with and a forty double charge will destroy most frames--unfortunately, I know this from an accidental double in an HK USP.

The USP fell victim to me and poor monitoring of TiteGroup.

I have since joined the club belonging to folks who use a powder that will over flow if it is doubled.

If using a progressive, I have a visual powder checkthat will prevent that.

If not using the progressive, its for small batches and I hand weigh and charge each one with a visual check of each case before seating the projectile.
Good advice on the distractions

Yes-- I use RedDot, Clays, and Solo1000 for the light loads.

Hs6, AutoComp, and 800X for the heavy loads.

I like AA5, and Universal Clays for everthing in between.

Over several years of reloading 45 acp I have had 2 blowouts. One in my Glock 21 a few years ago and just a couple months ago in my Glock 30. Both times the magazine was blown completely out of the firearm. The first time I just lost the mag. This second time I lost the mag and the mag release button broke in half inside the frame. No other internal damage was done. Flash burns on my hands, almost poopied my pants both times..........I'm very careful in making sure I am not overcharging my loads. It's not impossible to do but it is unlikely the way the progressive press is set up. What I do watch for even more closely now is any type of dimple or crease in the brass casing. If I even think that the casing has been weakened at all, it goes in the junk pile. I can only attibute the blow outs to a weak casing wall that went undetected to the eye. The first picture was from my Glock 21. The second picture was from my Glock 30View attachment 674776 View attachment 674777
the first pick is almost exactly what the cast looks like from my out of battery. thanks for the info

what caliber and what loads... also what firearm

Very easy to do with pistol rounds if you are not paying attention. the reason is that many pistol powders only fills a portion of the case and double loads will not overflow the case making it obvious you have a double load.

Rifle rounds almost always overflow the case and make a mess.

the best method to avoid a double charge is to size, prime and then fill all your rounds with powder placing them in loading blocks... Before seating the bullets look at EVERY case to insure the powder level is the same...

some simple rules in reloading

Avoid at all cost any distractions.. phone calls.. visitors, Television or anything else.

never think you are smarter than the reloading manuals they have the proper equipment to know what is going on

I'd pull every round you loaded at that time...

you are very lucky
45ACP from a 1911 press is a Lee progressive using Hodgens TiteGroup I was running a little hot on the load (around 4.8) have sense dropped down to low 4s.

one thing I did notice with a few rounds after I put the gun back together I chamber a few rounds and noticed that after extracting them the bullet depressed more into the case, I may be wrong but my line of thinking is with already hot loads and the round being seated too deep builds excess compression and possible that caused the blow out.

Already pulled about 300 rounds and checking for any inconsistencies and so far have found none. next step is to recheck crimp die.

again any thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

IF I had the slightest idea that it was My reloads then I would stop reloading immediately and review some reloading sources and my technique.
Not being nasty only making a strong suggestion that you don't want to keep doing this.
Now not on a soap box but I do not like progressive presses and I check both visually 3 times every case and by scale (every 15 or so rounds) before anything is set on top of the powder charge.
I also do not use extremely fast burning powders to save a few cents per 100 rounds so that its obvious if I have a unacceptable load.
we all have our way but we are the only quality inspector thats around when we reload.

45ACP from a 1911 press is a Lee progressive using Hodgens TiteGroup I was running a little hot on the load (around 4.8) have sense dropped down to low 4s.

one thing I did notice with a few rounds after I put the gun back together I chamber a few rounds and noticed that after extracting them the bullet depressed more into the case, I may be wrong but my line of thinking is with already hot loads and the round being seated too deep builds excess compression and possible that caused the blow out.

Already pulled about 300 rounds and checking for any inconsistencies and so far have found none. next step is to recheck crimp die.

again any thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

If they are compressing, you need to tighten the crimp. Check you OAL and run them thru your crimp die again.

Back
Top Bottom