• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need someone to Run a Vin for me!!!!!!!! The quest for my fathers long lost Panhead

This is about 3 years after they stopped stamping the VIN on the motor and moved it to the frame. That can pose a problem because as vast as ODT knowledge may be, it doesn't stop the Harley guys from swapping motors and frames. Even if you sort out the VIN location, you may come up empty handed as the frame could be in Australia and the motor could be in Japan now (two big hotspots for vintage Harleys and Harley parts at the moment).

I've lost count of the Harleys I've put back together with parts from other bikes. I wish you all the luck, but with the age and demand for these motors right now, the odds are not stacked in your favor, especially if it or parts of it made their way out of the country.

I would be beyond pissed if someone called me up and said "Hey, I had a cop buddy run down a VIN on a bike for me. He located you and gave me your private information. "

Bonus points if they said "I can come to your address that he already gave me come pick it up".

Just sayin.

I would be beyond pissed if someone called me up and said "Hey, I had a cop buddy run down a VIN on a bike for me. He located you and gave me your private information. "

Bonus points if they said "I can come to your address that he already gave me come pick it up".

Just sayin.
Well I obviously wouldn’t approach it in that manner. Regardless of what I want the odds are that the person who has it either has sold it or wants more for it than I can afford to give. Any 65 Electra glide is worth 20k in running shape.

MC was no help and I don’t blame them. A member of the ODT did get me the information I was looking for but I really don’t know how to go about this. I have an address and phone number where it was last registered 5 years ago.
Hope it wasn’t a Govt worker, because if it was they just made the both of you felons.

My only goal was to get to see it again. Idk why call it a hopeful mission. But after all the flak idk if it’s even worth it anymore. Even if they wanted to sell it the bike is worth a lot of money. I don’t know….

I have an address and phone number where it was last registered 5 years ago.
So give them a call or a visit. :noidea: A phone call won't hurt anything and if they pitch a fit "Sorry for bothering you, thanks for your time." I don't understand all the angst about contacting someone to purchase something they own. Yes I understand about the 'legality' of obtaining the information, but never-the-less. It's not like you are a stalker wanting a date. Hell I get bothered all the time from unknown people wanting to buy my house and cabin and they are just faceless investors. I'd be much more receptive to someone with a personal story such as yours. Good luck with whatever you decide.

So give them a call or a visit. :noidea: A phone call won't hurt anything and if they pitch a fit "Sorry for bothering you, thanks for your time." I don't understand all the angst about contacting someone to purchase something they own. Yes I understand about the 'legality' of obtaining the information, but never-the-less. It's not like you are a stalker wanting a date. Hell I get bothered all the time from unknown people wanting to buy my house and cabin and they are just faceless investors. I'd be much more receptive to someone with a personal story such as yours. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I agree. If I could find my 1977 K10 I bought new I would contact immediately. I know it wouldn’t bother me if it was the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom