• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need your opinions- good or bad let me hear it

ehunt

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
looking at the new braunfels off-set smoker at academy for 199.99$. Seems legit but wanting to know how long it will last. How long before I burn the bottom out of the fire box.

Last edited:
I love my Masterbuilt electric. As long as you cover it or store it out of the weather it will last. It does a fantastic job smoking and it's very easy to use.

Electric will never produce the same quality or taste as on offset smoker. That said, an offset is a lot more work.

There are two basic divisions of offset smokers, COS and EOS, or, Cheap Offset Smoker and Expensive Offset Smoker. A COS won't hold the temps or the smoke that an EOS will, but you can still get some good meat of it. I used a COS for 3 years before getting an EOS. To me, it's like a dance with the smoker.

The issue you run into with lower cost offsets is usually thin metal and doors that don't seal well. However, a good offset is hard to beat. Which is why so many competitors use them.

Go to Lowes/HD/fireplace shop, and buy a half dozen fire brick (not "fired brick") and put on the bottom of the fire box. If it doesn't get rain in it, it will last forever.

I worked at a steel fab shop for several years. One of the guys saved up scraps of 1/4” 316ss until he had enough to make an offset smoker. Heavy but will last a few lifetimes.

Back
Top Bottom