• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I needs some learning.....on trucks

In high school I had an older 4wd explorer that went to my brother after graduating. We use to take it on skiing/snowboarding trips, but never really had to use 4wd.
While I was working on a farm in college my 2wd Tacoma got stuck in the wet grass/mud. I bogged it down in an effort to get free. Luckily we had a tractor and I easily pulled it out. After that and other instances of being stuck, I decided to get my 4wd Silverado. I drove through Snowmageddon and pulled my buddies 2wd Dodge out in Acworth. For the few times I've needed 4wd I'm happy I had it. Peace of mind is worth the extra $$ to me.

My 1st 4x4, I went to Colorado and New Mexico and put it to test. Hills that were so steep you needed low range to climb up AND down. F all this red clay mud we have here. Seen plentya nice trucks slid up against a tree. I needed 4x4 just to get in and out of deer camp when it was messy but that is as far as went in it. I always kept a small stack of cap blocks to load on the truck if bad weather was in the forecast. Extra weight with limited slip and never a problem

In high school I had an older 4wd explorer that went to my brother after graduating. We use to take it on skiing/snowboarding trips, but never really had to use 4wd.
While I was working on a farm in college my 2wd Tacoma got stuck in the wet grass/mud. I bogged it down in an effort to get free. Luckily we had a tractor and I easily pulled it out. After that and other instances of being stuck, I decided to get my 4wd Silverado. I drove through Snowmageddon and pulled my buddies 2wd Dodge out in Acworth. For the few times I've needed 4wd I'm happy I had it. Peace of mind is worth the extra $$ to me.
Buying it before you get married helps too :bounce:

Very interesting and entertaining thread. Everybody has their opinion, which is good because it adds insight to others opinion.

I have had a couple of 4x4 truck, of which one even had 4 wheel steering (GMC), and like most I very seldom really needed or even engaged 4x4 drive. MPG was bad on both. Back in 1973 when we had 16 inches of snow I picked my wife and a friend up at the old Bibb Company in Macon and drove to Warner Robins in my ‘70 Chevelle SS396. Never got stuck, just used second gear and drove slow and steady. Technique is the secret.

The best truck I’ve had is the one I still own... 2012 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crewcab 4x2. Plenty of power and very roomy with good mileage, even at 158K miles.

I'm thinking about buying a truck and I'm curious to hear thoughts on 4 wheel vs. 2 wheel drive. I would use it mostly as a pavement pounder. I like the Ford Lariat as it seems like a passenger car but I don't know if $4k difference in price is justifiable for 4X4 vs. rear wheel drive only. Any suggestions that don't include me doing something anatomically unlikely to myself?
One word. TACOMA. At 500k you'll thank me.

My 4.0 liter V6 pulls my boat and is 4wd and it only cost 35k new. My bank still values it at 28k and it is a 2013.

Very interesting and entertaining thread. Everybody has their opinion, which is good because it adds insight to others opinion.

I have had a couple of 4x4 truck, of which one even had 4 wheel steering (GMC), and like most I very seldom really needed or even engaged 4x4 drive. MPG was bad on both. Back in 1973 when we had 16 inches of snow I picked my wife and a friend up at the old Bibb Company in Macon and drove to Warner Robins in my ‘70 Chevelle SS396. Never got stuck, just used second gear and drove slow and steady. Technique is the secret.

The best truck I’ve had is the one I still own... 2012 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crewcab 4x2. Plenty of power and very roomy with good mileage, even at 158K miles.
You keep that truck nice. I had no idea it was 6 years old.

I swore off 2wd trucks a few years back. Saw an older gentleman with a new Tundra barely off the lot and he was stuck on the shoulder of the road. Right rear tire was spinning on wet grass, left rear was on asphalt and front tires were both on asphalt. All he could do was stand and wait to be pulled 2-3' onto the road so he could continue down the road. I had to engage 4wd to reverse up a driveway last month covered in mud and wet leaves. It's like a gun to me. I hope I don't need it but if I do I've got it.

Back
Top Bottom