• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I needs some learning.....on trucks

One word. TACOMA. At 500k you'll thank me.

My 4.0 liter V6 pulls my boat and is 4wd and it only cost 35k new. My bank still values it at 28k and it is a 2013.
I had an 05 DC TRD OR Taco. Loved it! Still kick myself for selling it. Went anywhere, with locked rear differential nothing could stop it.
Looked at the new Taco last week. Maybe next year I will get one.

PS, bought it used in 2007 for $23K. Sold it in 2009 for $25K. About 20K miles later. They hold their value!

I'm thinking about buying a truck and I'm curious to hear thoughts on 4 wheel vs. 2 wheel drive. I would use it mostly as a pavement pounder. I like the Ford Lariat as it seems like a passenger car but I don't know if $4k difference in price is justifiable for 4X4 vs. rear wheel drive only. Any suggestions that don't include me doing something anatomically unlikely to myself?

I would go 2 wd with locking differential.

That will get you out of most normal stuff.

4WD makes people overconfident and they tend to get REALLY stuck. I just saw a guy who was apparently trying to do a little 4WD mudbogging in a ditch by the road, and homeboy would need a damned helicopter to get him out. He was up to the tops of the tires.

The other consideration with 4WD is the maintenance. You essentially have 3 transmissions plus a couple of CV joints. When anything needs fixing, the bills can get waaaaay bigger fast.

We used to have a 4wd Isuzu. It was OK, but we rarely used the 4wd. Carried a winch in the back of it. Had to use it once.

4wd can be useful, but not nearly as much as most people think. I'd be worried about the exposure to repair costs. They are mechanically much more complex.

For me I always gravitate towards a 4x4. One of those better to have it than not things. Between a couple hurricanes and the snow storm last year where SAV got like 3-4", with no plows for miles, I was one of the very few on the road. All the rest were 4x4s too.

View attachment 1897198

You have a good point.

If I lived up in the mtns, I would definitely be looking at 4wd.

Back
Top Bottom