• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I picked up my 2nd Chevy truck/ 73-87 loose steering

MRM

Army Icon
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
47   0
Reaction score
My dad was a Ford guy. I felt a bit embarrassed standing in the old yard having to be reminded by my kin of that fact upon asking if the camper he hauled off had a 454.
My first truck was a newer Chevy.

My first car was a Ford.
I was surprised to learn that every old Chevy part just happens to fit every other old Chevy part and a few more.

I've heard this rumor for years.
I'm parts shopping for a solution to really loose steering on my new 87 Chevy.
It's a R30 but does that even matter?

I've heard Moog bearings and I don't think I want to rebuild my control arm/A arm due to time.

It also needs a motor mount. It seems to be a generic part.

Anyone rebuild those front ends before?

I drove it 25 miles home and parked it.
I haven't looked at any of it yet.

Just something new. I'm going to pull a enclosed trailer about six 500 mile trips.

IMG_20190603_191821590.jpg
87 R30 Custom Deluxe with the Camper Special package.
350, 4 speed with a granny low.
And It's pink.

check the rag joint.. its on the steering arm,usually up at the top.
they used a thick stack of cloth like material for u-joints on them.
advance has a ball joint/bushing puller/press set in the rent a tools. works pretty well,used it on my 05 duramax.

upload_2019-6-5_23-16-0.jpeg

poly is the way to go.
the idea behind them was to not rip off your arms in a wreck. but anything heavy duty or with big tires would wear them out.

Reactions: MRM
I saw the rag joint videos.
I'll look for a poly version.
There was a good video on the sector shaft adjustment and how not to bind the gearbox.
Non-tilt wheel.
I'm going to shake everything when the rain stops.

No odd vibrations, or pull, just a quarter turn of slop.
I hope there is enough good parts to postpone a full rebuild.
I'm going to look at the front bearing adjustment and condition.

Really everything else works good mechanically, but, I will have to flush everything and do all the tune up tricks.

Have you checked your tie rod ends, drag link and pitman arm? Very common to have one worn out and will cause sloppy steering.

Have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth, should have zero lost motion on these parts.

Have you checked your tie rod ends, drag link and pitman arm? Very common to have one worn out and will cause sloppy steering.

Have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth, should have zero lost motion on these parts.
Not yet.
I was thinking about replacing some parts blind and ordering the rag joint, idler arm and Pittman arm. Maybe new wheel bearings.

The cheap in me says look at it first, but that will be next week with this rain.

Not yet.
I was thinking about replacing some parts blind and ordering the rag joint, idler arm and Pittman arm. Maybe new wheel bearings.

The cheap in me says look at it first, but that will be next week with this rain.

Those parts are surface hardened. Once the surface wears through, they get real loose very quickly. Rarely do they all go out at once.

Back
Top Bottom