• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I picked up my 2nd Chevy truck/ 73-87 loose steering

Not yet.
I was thinking about replacing some parts blind and ordering the rag joint, idler arm and Pittman arm. Maybe new wheel bearings.

The cheap in me says look at it first, but that will be next week with this rain.

In my experience wheel bearings will start to wear the front tires along the edges if they are bad enough to impact steering. Not saying it's a bad idea to replace them, especially on an older truck, but I'd start at rag joint and work down the line to the steering box, idler, pitman, ball joints, etc. I had one old truck that had old tires on it, as soon as I replaced those it tightened the steering right up.

Reactions: MRM
In my experience wheel bearings will start to wear the front tires along the edges if they are bad enough to impact steering. Not saying it's a bad idea to replace them, especially on an older truck, but I'd start at rag joint and work down the line to the steering box, idler, pitman, ball joints, etc. I had one old truck that had old tires on it, as soon as I replaced those it tightened the steering right up.

New tires will make anything ride and drive better.

Back in the day, every used car that came on the lot got 4 new rubbers. Cost 80 bucks, mounted and balanced. Money well spent.

D596DA5E-9F42-4EA0-A427-5934FE2DD8F7.jpeg

My sons 1986 K10.

Well I took Tammi out for the Walmart pickup. While waiting I discovered the fan clutch is shot and the battery was not tied down at all. (Secured it before leaving).
I knew the overflow container was busted, but it had some coolant running out.
I'm thinking it could use a new 16# cap.
The gas gauge went from 1/8 to 1/2 while I was waiting so that's Awesome!
And I reconnected the parking brake release rod.
I think I'm going to like this truck!
2nd time out.
No more trips until she's tagged and I go over it. I didn't much like missing the battery not being secured!

You shouldn't have a frame issue on a 1 ton, that problem is common to the half and three quarter ton trucks as they use the same frame. If you can jack up the front end it'll be easier to see what's worn by your self. If it's just loose steering and not wondering all over the road, you might get by with just the rag joint. When they start to wonder around is the indication of worn out front end pieces. Rock auto will probably have the best prices on the parts.

Reactions: MRM
Back
Top Bottom