• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

I took a deer to Southers deer cooler in Murrayville last week for the first time. It will also be the last time I take one there. It was the nastiest processor I have ever seen. I'm glad I will not be eating it.

Just curious why you thought they were nasty?

I have tried Wilkes and brooks and both of those places were nasty to me.
One had the deer bodies all piled up in a room temperature room when I took mine in.....it was unbelievevable.
The other place had piles and piles of ribs all piled up on top of each other in the ambient outside air ready to get stripped and ground.

Southers always snatches up my deer right away, weighs it if I want and puts it on the hook immediately to the cooler to hang.

I always get MY deer and the meat I get back is right on the money for the size deer I bring in.

Of all the processors I've used I have always had the best tasting meat from southers deer cooler, never got sick and never even had bone fragments.

Their staff is always friendly and they seem to really appreciate the business.

They claim you are guaranteed your deer and kinda chuckle about how unfair and nasty it would be to get someone else's deer.

Yes all deer processors have that meat smell but southers is no worse than any other processor as far as smell goes.

The ONLY complaint I have from southers deer cooler is that i wish they would not use that super thin plastic wrap to wrap up the ground meat tubes because it's always rolled into the meat and tears apart in little pieces when you try to unwrap it but I've learned to just put it in the microwave for about 6 minutes and it unwraps easily.
FYI! After wrapped they put it in a heavy camo colored plastic tube bag.

I haven't done a tour of their place but I've always been happy with their service and the excellent taste of the meat.

Brooks and Wilkes both gave me grab bags of meat and I was concerned once when I got way too much meat from each of them and found freezer burned backstraps and steaks from both places.....was not thrilled with the taste of the meat from either.

Southers has kicked -A in the honesty, integrity and taste category hands down.

Last edited:
Best X 10! He makes the best smoked sausage I've ever tasted. Been a while since I took one there but he mixed Boston Butt with his sausage and smoked it all in Pecan wood. Used to not charge extra for gutting a deer either, don't know if that is still the case.

Correct. And he will not take field dressed. He doesn't want to deal with amateurs and clean up their mess. Best processor on the planet. Chapmans

Just curious why you thought they were nasty?

I have tried Wilkes and brooks and both of those places were nasty to me.
One had the deer bodies all piled up in a room temperature room when I took mine in.....it was unbelievevable.
The other place had piles and piles of ribs all piled up on top of each other in the ambient outside air ready to get stripped and ground.

Southers always snatches up my deer right away, weighs it if I want and puts it on the hook immediately to the cooler to hang.

I always get MY deer and the meat I get back is right on the money for the size deer I bring in.

Of all the processors I've used I have always had the best tasting meat from southers deer cooler, never got sick and never even had bone fragments.

Their staff is always friendly and they seem to really appreciate the business.

They claim you are guaranteed your deer and kinda chuckle about how unfair and nasty it would be to get someone else's deer.

Yes all deer processors have that meat smell but southers is no worse than any other processor as far as smell goes.

The ONLY complaint I have from southers deer cooler is that i wish they would not use that super thin plastic wrap to wrap up the ground meat tubes because it's always rolled into the meat and tears apart in little pieces when you try to unwrap it but I've learned to just put it in the microwave for about 6 minutes and it unwraps easily.
FYI! After wrapped they put it in a heavy camo colored plastic tube bag.

I haven't done a tour of their place but I've always been happy with their service and the excellent taste of the meat.

Brooks and Wilkes both gave me grab bags of meat and I was concerned once when I got way too much meat from each of them and found freezer burned backstraps and steaks from both places.....was not thrilled with the taste of the meat from either.

Southers has kicked -A in the honesty, integrity and taste category hands down.

Got a link or address to southers?

If I am going to pay for processing in Alphharetta here, I use Neese off hwy 140. They only take dressed deer. Nice people. She says they make sure you get your deer back. Ive been happy with them but it is expensive. Wilkes is alot closer and maybe cheaper but I won't use them ever again. I use Cranes on the taxidermy some. I haven't tried their processing. I just had throw in my 2cents on Wilkes.

Just heard a story 2 days ago that sounded the exact same about West GA. Here's another on about the same place. One of my friends took the first deer he ever killed there, he was all excited about it and invited a bunch of people over to have deer burgers. Once the broke open the meat the second pack had a cigarette butt in it. Needles to say we did a Kroger run and got some ground beef, the rest of that whole deer was thrown away. I prefer to do my own and I never have those problems. Cranes in Acworth has always done me right as far as processing goes but I'm just too cheap to pay em.

I miss Troup farms up in between Acworth and Dallas. About 8 years ago he came down with lung issues. Good man and did great job smoking my hind quarters

Back
Top Bottom