• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

OK, figured I'd update this thread. Just went to pick up my buck from Dorminey's. Now this may not be the most useful info as I don't have a live or field dressed weight but it was a decent (probably 3.5 year old) 8 pointer. I got back 55.8# of meat but 37.6# was sausage. They use all scrap AND front shoulders for sausage. Only 18.2# of tenderloins (which the 3 packages seemed light to me) and cube steak. I called them up since I paid for 45# of sausage (extra $2 lb) and was told they charge on the "pre-cooked" weight. I made them verify (at least verbally) that I did get MY deer back. Next deer I shoot I'm not getting processed (sausage/jerky whatever) just to see what I get back.
I just don't have the space (or motivation yet) to do my own. Better be good sausage. After dropping off the skull for a Euro mount this is one EXPENSIVE deer.

For the last several years I've used a real meat processor (Oak Valley Meat Processing,4630 Oak Valley Rd, Toccoa,GA 30577) They do cows and pigs year round and only do deer on the side during deer season. The cuts of meat you get are professional and I have yet to find hair one in any of the meat. If you have a place like this in your area, why not give it a shot?

OK, figured I'd update this thread. Just went to pick up my buck from Dorminey's. Now this may not be the most useful info as I don't have a live or field dressed weight but it was a decent (probably 3.5 year old) 8 pointer. I got back 55.8# of meat but 37.6# was sausage. They use all scrap AND front shoulders for sausage. Only 18.2# of tenderloins (which the 3 packages seemed light to me) and cube steak. I called them up since I paid for 45# of sausage (extra $2 lb) and was told they charge on the "pre-cooked" weight. I made them verify (at least verbally) that I did get MY deer back. Next deer I shoot I'm not getting processed (sausage/jerky whatever) just to see what I get back.
I just don't have the space (or motivation yet) to do my own. Better be good sausage. After dropping off the skull for a Euro mount this is one EXPENSIVE deer.
That sounds about right Geaux. I on the other hand will never use the one I did again.

Back
Top Bottom