• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

Oh yea, I thought the tenderloin is what they call backstraps?
Baton is kind of fancy. ;)

20071125Deer_cuts.gif

Yeah, you got screwed, big time. I can't quote a ratio (perhaps someone can) but it takes a LOT less than 20 pounds of venison to make 20 pounds of sausage. Sausage is normally made from the 'scrap' (ribs etc...) then added pork/beef whatever depending on what type it is. Who was the processor? Don't go there again. One more time... DORMINEYS!
I'm actually MORE concerned that I get MY deer than I get every last ounce but still, that would have had me making a scene.

They told me they only add fat to it, it's very lean sausage.

Wilkes meat market. I chose it because it was on the GON recommended list.

They told me they only add fat to it, it's very lean sausage.

Wilkes meat market. I chose it because it was on the GON recommended list.
You should have wound up with at least double what you got (in everything, not sausage). I have a vague memory of hearing good things about Wilkes. Has anyone every mentioned DORMINEY'Sto you?

And you didn't notice this before you left the processor? I just picked up a VERY healthy doe today that yielded nearly 60lbs of roast, ground and loins. If my guy had brought out 20lbs, I would have laughed and told him to try again.

20lbs + the tenderloins + ham steaks.

I haven't really had someone show me the ropes on hunting deer.

Which processor? I had a bad experience at one in west Georgia. I got caught in a pinch and had to use it with no experience or recommendation. Place was pretty gross. Brought a mature buck and got 35# back. I called and raised hell and the guy apologized profusely and offered to do my next deer free. Lolwut? I don't think so.
I use Dorminey's and could not say enough good things about the man or his operation. He's a year round processor (beef and hogs) so this isn't a sideline for him. Plus he makes GREAT jerky (bulk, link, summer sausage, and slim jims). Waiting for my call now. Also had link sausage done. He never weighs his but so far it's always made 'since' what I've gotten back. I get my deer to the processor pronto so I want MY deer back. Not something that's laid out in the sun for 8 hours and road two hours on the hood of someone's Lincoln.

I assume you mean the Dormineys up the road from me here?

Back
Top Bottom