• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I shot myself. I'm done shooting steel

I knew a fellow back in the late 80's, that shot an old porcelain toilet with a 7.62x39, it ricocheted and penetrated his flank meat/love handle.
It wasn't life threatening, but I think he did go to the Dr. to have it removed.
We all thought it was funny as hell.

After purchasing a couple of Romanian Tok pistols, I was hit in the upper lip on the first firing at the range shooting steel. I have never shot those pistols straight on at steel again. I figured I was only good for ONE warning!

Yeah i only shoot steel with AP rounds out of rifle. I have had several standard rounds come back on me. None hit me but they wizzed back passed my face. Thats also why i only shoot standard carbon steel plates. Yeah sure AR500 lasts longer but it also has the potential to send them back to you.
I don't think that's safe man, ar500 keeps you safe by destroying the projectile and it losing all of it's mass for whatever remains. I think AP rounds are more likely to come at you if they aren't destroyed on impact.
I was told if I had better accuracy this would not have been an issue.
Was the plate rack made out of a much softer steel? I really like using 2x4's holding up our silhouettes. 2x4's won't send stuff back at you. I have seen lots of people shoot pistols as close as 6 or 7 yards and not have any problems. However, there is a happy medium for velocity and safety shooting steel. Eye pro always! If you want to shoot a 44 special moving 700 fps on ar500, it's not going fast enough to destroy that bullet on impact and will deflect it sometimes! On the flipside, if you are shooting something 3000 FPS and faster you are going to have lots of things happen and need that distance between you and the steel. As in, I personally don't want to see what happens shooting standard FMJ 5.56 at 10 yards on ar500 lol.

All my plates are on chains angled down, and I rarely shoot them closer than 15 yds. I have ran drills at 8, but not too frequently. Never had an issue with ss ricochet with them angled properly.

Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Shooting glasses are a must.

Shooting is an inherently dangerous sport. What we do is conduct ourselves in such a manner that it doesn’t become unsafe. Dangerous is fine; unsafe is not fine.

I’ve been hit with ricochets and fragments from shooting steel more times than I can possibly count. That’s just paying the dues to the Steel Gods and part of the cost of training. Good stuff.

I usually shoot frangible when shooting steel, but not always. I’ve been hit with chunks of frangible ammo, as well. Good thing is, it usually won’t have sharp edges. I’ve pulled fragments, out with needle nose pliers, mostly in my hands.

I was helping Fulton Co PD do some testing on 3” bullet-resistant Lexan. 125grn .357SIG Gold Dot penetrated shallowly and was captured in the Lexan. The 100grn frangible stayed in a solid piece, ricocheted back and struck me just left of the sternum. Left a gorgeous, 8-color bruise, almost as big as my fist. That was about 10 years ago and I still have a scar from it.

Shooting is an inherently dangerous sport. What we do is conduct ourselves in such a manner that it doesn’t become unsafe. Dangerous is fine; unsafe is not fine.

I’ve been hit with ricochets and fragments from shooting steel more times than I can possibly count. That’s just paying the dues to the Steel Gods and part of the cost of training. Good stuff.

I usually shoot frangible when shooting steel, but not always. I’ve been hit with chunks of frangible ammo, as well. Good thing is, it usually won’t have sharp edges. I’ve pulled fragments, out with needle nose pliers, mostly in my hands.

I was helping Fulton Co PD do some testing on 3” bullet-resistant Lexan. 125grn .357SIG Gold Dot penetrated shallowly and was captured in the Lexan. The 100grn frangible stayed in a solid piece, ricocheted back and struck me just left of the sternum. Left a gorgeous, 8-color bruise, almost as big as my fist. That was about 10 years ago and I still have a scar from it.
Bet that was a little scary

Back
Top Bottom