• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I shot myself. I'm done shooting steel

I was at the range yesterday shooting plates. I assume I hit the rack and it ricocheted. I was struck just above my eye and it continued to cut the edge of my ear. I was probably 12 yards from the rack which is closer than I realized.
One bullet to the head took me out of the fight. I was not a determined attacker but I knew I was done.
9mm hurts.
I will never shoot without safety glasses. I had them on and am thankful.
When you are sweating a cut on your ear can bleed a lot. I always carry wet wipes and the pack that belongs in the car is in a softball bag somewhere. Time to restock. I also need a better first aid kit. The one I have has been picked through.
I was thankful my kids were not there. I bled more than I wanted them to see.

How far away are you when you shoot plates?
Glad you were not more seriously injured.
I shoot very little steel now.
I once shot all types of targets and have been hit several times.
I stick with more distance and less potential for returning projectiles now.
I can remember 2 really painful impacts and a near miss that have helped form my opinion over the years.
A friend and I were shooting my new S&W 29 and he wanted to see if it would crack an engine block. Small block chevy at 25 yards,side profile 245 gr. hard cast gas checks broke thru water jacket and cracked a cylinder wall. But what if it is coming straight at you? Well one shot and apiece of cast iron or bullet
hit me in the nose . Small cut ,bloody and thankfully not in the eye.
20 yards with 1911A1 . 185 gr . hot JHP reloads. Target was an old small diameter cylinder fire extinguisher.
1st shot ricocheted straight back into my shin and dropped me
right there. Nice bruise.
Two of us standing on the range and throw a bowling ball , old generic black HARD, down range between us.
S&W big bore ,.41 mag or .44 mag, my shot blew a bit smaller than fist size chunk out that flew between both of us at a very high speed. We each coulda swore it went right along side our head. Shot many,many more bowling PINS but never another bowling ball.
Same friend involved each time. Many thousands of rounds expended many times together and luckily no more serious
incidents. We do both wish we would have had better ear protection tho.

this happened to me when some jack ass that was TOLD not to shoot my steels with 223/556 @ 15yrds rounds got ricochet back and hit him in the stomach..then I got muzzle swept ..and guy got his rifle taken away and re-educated.

I got hit by M882 ricochet when my coworker was shooting steel targets about 10 yards to my left. He was shooting at a distance of about 12 yards, same as me. Ricochet knocked me right in the forehead. I didn’t even realize until I started gushing blood from the left side of my forehead. I still feel it when I raise my eyebrows

5D9EFBD1-6528-454D-B919-3B6D2238F7CF.jpeg
Shotgun shellshot, air rifle pellets, and target arrows can all bounce back at you also, even from wood.

When I’m shooting anything at any target that’s harder than cardboard, I try to remember to make sure that the target is angled down, and a little sideways too.

I’ve seen folks hit by ricochets from rocks and dirt in the berm; sometimes by the bullet itself, and sometimes by objects that the bullet launched. I saw a guy get hit in the nuts by a ricochet off of a crosstie backstop. Like I said earlier, shooting is an inherently dangerous sport, don’t let fear of a ricochet limit your enjoyment or choice of targets.

Back
Top Bottom