• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I thought deer were supposed to be afraid of people

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
so, I'm no expert but it was my understanding that deer, as wildlife, would generally not want to be near or interact with humans. well, wtf is going on in dekalb county?

I've seen them before in my backyard (inside the city of Atlanta, literally the hood by a lot of folks definitions) and a few times they have gotten as close to me in the backyard as maybe 15 to 20 yards.

well today I'm out at constitutions lakes to walk the dolls head trail and as I am I stumble across a rather large deer not but 10 feet from the trail. I am surprised, and it notices me I guess and runs about 5 to 10 feet away and then it stops. I kinda keep following the path slowly but watching the deer as its watching me. I kick the gravel with my foot to make noise and try and scare it off. it doesn't budge.

at this point I'm like WTF, because its strange and also I am a city guy so I'm not use to seeing deer up close but it was pretty ****in big and I know that on occasion they can turn territorial and maybe open up some whoop ass. so considering this I decide to yell at it and move my arms up. it ducks its head a bit and take a step to me like its sizing me up. so **** that, all I have is a .25 and I dont want to be on the news as that guy who got his ass kicked by a deer so I started slowly making my way along the trail as this prick of a deer mean mugs me.

so I do my walk, and I backtrack part of the trail and 20 minutes have passed and i come back to the spot where I first encountered the deer and wouldnt you know it that thing is still there. it basically repeats what it did earlier, going 10 to 15 feet from the trail then stopping and staring at me. I just kept on that time

its weird, never seen them do that before. and I know that as a nice Sunday there were **** loads of people probably walking the trail too. y'all need to come to the city and hunt some of these things

I had one start to come up on my deck last wee to eat my pepper plants until I let my dog out. We have a nursery at work. All the does hang out and let them play in a large grass area. They will walk right up to us. Once they get used to being around people and aren't being hunted, they will hang around.

They learn where humans are a threat & where they aren't. We live in a subdivision but my wife's family has about 100 acres literally 10 minutes away. I have to sit forever in a deer stand to see one. But I see them as I'm driving up to my niece's house on the property all the time. Heck, I see them on my cul-de-sac at least twice a week. If I ever get the arm strength back (had a stroke several years ago), those that hang out so close to my niece's house will be reintroduced to the bow.

I saw a segment on WSB-TV News on Friday (I think) about Deer in Peachtree City chasing some people in a golf cart, and one instance in that area, a deer injured someone's dog so bad they had to put the dog down.

Deer Empire Strikes Back? Or maybe the libs have been filling them with commie ideas along the lines of "You've been exploited long enough". They're getting entitled now days.

Be careful with those mama deer around their babies they will fight to the death. Same with mama bears.

deadly violence warning

Back
Top Bottom