• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I thought I would save a bit of money...

MRM

Army Icon
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
47   0
Reaction score
A year and a half ago, I bought a 02 Sequoia for the growing family.
I usually turn my own wrenches.

I bought it in rough condition for relatively cheap with 113k.
The paint and body is presentable as well as the interior.

I just got the ac basically completely replaced except for a few lines under the dash and the front evaporator.
I have also replaced the wheels, tires, rear calipers, upgraded front calipers, rotors, pads, cat back, added remote start, plugs, trans drain/refill and lube.

I feel good knowing the work that has been done, but, I'm in deep enough now that I'm wondering if I should have bought something newer with a few more miles possibly that was better kept.

Otherwise the truck shouldn't need too much more and hopefully nothing major.

That is a lot to go wrong at 113k. The miles are low for the age, did it sit awhile (might explain the calipers)? The tranny was due to be serviced at that mileage though. The wheels, were they bent from hitting the curb or the finish not holding up?

Reactions: MRM
It spent some time up north.
The calipers had started sticking.
The fronts were larger from the factory in the next model year.
The wheels were functional but they looked bad.
The exhaust had a rust through that was not repairable.
It is 17 years old as well.

Keep it and beat on it. Let your kids learn to drive in that behemoth.
That was the general idea. The kids will be rough on the interior anyway and I do plan on keeping this one for a long time.

I suppose the discussion is: do you spend 6k on a car and 4k in repairs or buy a 10k car and hope the ac doesn't break and the brakes don't need and major work, the exhaust holds out, etc.

(I didnt expect the ac repair to be as extensive as it turned out to be.)

If the money matters to you,then it will always bother you.

If it is paid for,Maintained,and you now know the Maintenance history of it....then you could be a lot worse off

You could have spent more $$$, only to need major maintenance as well

As far as $6-$10k goes,you don’t really get much for a vehicle these days that’s not neat to heck or doesn’t need some work

Don’t beat yourself up too bad,next time you’ll know to avoid anything from up north

Reactions: MRM
This one spent some time up north but it is not very bad. I did have one other car that was much worse and I did not keep it long enough to learn my lesson.

The replacement ac lines seemed much thicker that the oe.

I'm not beating myself up TOO bad.
It just took a bit more money than I anticipated to get it right.

You are right, I will not buy another car that spent any time up north.

Back
Top Bottom