• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I took the crossbow plunge.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I finally decided to get a crossbow because I can use a scope with it and it's gotten to the point I can no longer see the pins on my compound clearly.

I didn't want to sink a lot of money into it and after doing a lot of research decided on the Barnett Whitetail II package. I got it for $318 at Bass Pro after getting them to price match the Walmart price. I bought five more bolts to go with the two that came with the bow and got a preliminary zero while I was at BP. I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the trigger. Crisp and about 3.5lbs. The scope is obviously cheap, but it still beats the hell out of pins and it has come ups in the reticle for the bolts that come with the bow with 100 grain tips. I might replace it latter, but maybe not. I also got a decocking bolt.

It has short limbs and is more compact than I was expecting. It's rated for 350fps and has a lot of kinetic energy with the 415 grain bolts that came with it. It feels quite solid and well built. I can also hand cock it with little problem if I'm in a hurry.

I've decided to also switch to mechanical broadheads because I want the large diameter cut you can get with them. I'll be hunting small land in North Fulton sometimes and want the deer to go down fast. After doing some research I ordered some NAP Crossbow Spitfire MaXX 100 grain. If YouTube can be believed, these things are deadly accurate and consistency shoot to the same spot as a field point. They also create massive wound channels. Massive!

Any tips from you more experienced crossbow folks?

oh yeah they will shoot through reg targets and hay bales.I may got to a red dot next time
I've noticed that the scope that came with it has the same spacing between the cross reticles for the different distances. That tells me it's not very precise. I read somewhere there is an illuminated crossbow scope that you can actually adjust each cross reticle in it for your bow. Have you ever seen or heard about one like this?

New to crossbows as well. I went with an Excalibur 308Short with Rage Expandable 100gr Mechanical broadheads.. You will need a rangefinder if you don't have one. Mine came with an inexpensive Dead zone scope but once sighted in at 20 it's good all the way out to 60yds using each different aiming point.
20181018_082801.jpg

New to crossbows as well. I went with an Excalibur 308Short with Rage Expandable 100gr Mechanical broadheads.. You will need a rangefinder if you don't have one. Mine came with an inexpensive Dead zone scope but once sighted in at 20 it's good all the way out to 60yds using each different aiming point.View attachment 1856608
Nice. I looked at the Excalibur Crossbows and they sure are nice with a great reputation, but I wanted to be able to cock mine by hand if I had to. Range-finding is going to easier with a crossbow than with my compound, or at least I hope it is.

EDIT: Seriously? The word for engaging the mechanism on a crossbow or firearm gets edited out? :doh:

Back
Top Bottom