• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I wanna go fishing for Eel. Does anyone know where?

I use to catch them on limb hooks in a pond in Burke County when I lived over there.

You need some sand paper gloves to hold on to them.

When I use to scuba dive in Vortex Springs we would take a can of cheez-wiz and when you sprayed it under water it looked orange worms and the sand eels would swim out of the caves and eat it. Sometimes you'd have over 50 eels swimming over and around you trying to get the cheez worms.

At one time (1980) there was a commercial eel fishery on the Altamaha. State was pushing it as a new income source for the swampers.

They used traps, trapped them live, and shipped them live to Japan.

Haven't heard anything about it in years, so I don't know if it is viable.

We would catch them on hook and line with a small hook and a tiny piece of red wiggler, usually in a back water. They eat everything but have relatively small mouth.

I had one rule in my boat -no eels in the boat. You catch one, we are cutting the line. The slime they have gets on everything and starts to stink immediately.

That said, a piece of eel is about the best bait you can use on a bush hook or trot line. Bloody, tough.

Back to OP, you should be able to find them any where between Augusta and the ocean. Look for slack or dead water, usually shallow. You can't trap them without a commercial license. If you know someone who is a serious catfisherman, he should be able to give you some info on good spots.

Used to be some bait dealers around Savannah that sold them, may still be. They are a number one striper bait.

They are considered a delicacy in most of the world. In Holland, they smoke them and sell them in bundles like they used to do with cigars. As noted above, fry them like catfish. "Jellied" eel is real popular in England and Europe. Call me provincial if you will, but I've been able to pass on that without feeling "country".

You can even make a pie of them, https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...n-roll-the-slippery-history-of-eel-pie-island. I'll stick with apple.

Back
Top Bottom