• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want a 6.5 Creedmoor

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
Ok Guys, I have been researching the 6.5 CM for months now, and decided that I am going to get one. I am at the age now where I don't want to shoot the big magnums, and want to get a nice lower recoil, flat shooting hunting rifle. I think I have looked at all of the offerings, but I want to see if I missed something.

What I would ultimately like to have:
6.5 CM bolt action
24" barrel, but would settle for 22"
hinged floorplate
4 or 5 round capacity
medium to heavy barrel, preferably fluted and free floated
threaded barrel would be nice, so I could put my suppressor on it
wood stock, but don't mind a good synthetic
blued or stainless barrel
nice crisp trigger, with no creep. preferably around a 2 to 2.5 pound pull

So, does anybody have a suggestion? I would like to stay around $1000.00 or less. I am not going to competition shoot, so I want it to look like a hunting rifle.

Thoughts?

Here is my 6.5cm

I know it doesn't fit your criteria, but the Ruger Precision rifle's are pretty accurate with no mods at all and they are threaded. I can understand the stock situation though. Not everyone likes the tactical stuff.

Ruger makes the American Predator series in 6.5 for super cheap (which I think the RPR's are based on), but I bet others can recommend better rifles for the money and have all the features you want.

IMG_1176.JPG

I have looked at the RPRs and the Savage BA and know that they are tack-drivers. I guess when I am sitting in my box stand on the power line, I feel guilty about shooting those poor, defenseless deer with a sniper rifle. :D

I have looked at the RPRs and the Savage BA and know that they are tack-drivers. I guess when I am sitting in my box stand on the power line, I feel guilty about shooting those poor, defenseless deer with a sniper rifle. :D
If you are going to hunt with it, the RPR chassis is a tad hefty and a traditional stock would probably a lot more comfortable to carry around. Not to mention the RPR chassis would snag on everything imaginable walking through the woods and with winter clothes.

Check out Savages lineup. For way less than a grand they offer several choices in 6.5 now. Free floated barrels, adjustable triggers ( that everyone has copied now) and exceptional accuracy in my experience. If you want the fluted barrel threaded you will have to call them and order it. Probably pushing 1k at that point. Ive been considering this caliber as well.Good luck.

If you're only going to hunt with it, why not get a .308? Exponentially better selection of hunting rifles in .308, much wider selection of ammunition.

Anyways, 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rifles are a bit scarce. It was designed specifically to be a PRS round, so most of the rifles chambered for it are tactically derived.

No go on Remington, CZ, or Tikka's in 6.5CR.

Here's what a quick search for hunting rifles in 6.5CR found:

Browning has the X-Bolt in the following models, chambered in 6.5CR:
Hell's Canyon SPEED
Eclipse Target
Long Range Hunter Stainless
Composite Stalker
Stainless Stalker

Ruger has the following rifles in 6.5CR:
Hawkeye FTW Hunter
PR
Hawkeye Predator
American Predator
Hawkeye Predator
Hawkeye Varmint Target
American Rifle Standard

You're not going to find a threaded barrel in many hunting oriented rifles. Easy enough to have one threaded after purchase. Also, you will more than likely have to replace the trigger in order to get the kind of feel you're wanting. I own a crapload of rifles and not a one that ain't milsurp has the factory trigger in it.

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I have been researching for a while.

cmshoot cmshoot ...That is about what I have found in my research. I have also seen the Bergara B14. That is very nice, with most of the features that I would like in a hunting rifle, however, they are very difficult to find, and I must say, that the people at BPI are not very helpful or friendly.

I know a couple of gunsmiths that could thread the barrel, so long as it is heavy enough. I DO have a fondness for Remington and Sako/Tikka rifles, but like you said, they don't offer the CM. Oh, and the reason for the CM..........cause I don't have one. LOL

BTW, I do my own handloads, so I'm not worried about the ammo.

Back
Top Bottom