• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want to learn to reload

Even though you will, and can, use whatever you initially purchase forever,,,you will grow with time and experience into other equipment. Have fun,,,My advice "Go for Quality and Safety, not speed. Enjoy the experience." More speed will come in time.

Have fun,,,My advice "Go for Quality and Safety, not speed. Enjoy the experience." More speed will come in time.

This is the mantra of a good handloader. Safety is priority #1...both for you and your guns. Quality and consistency of a handload is the main reason to do it...secondary is the cheaper ammo you produce.

Speed comes from familiarity with the process and nothing else. I've only been doing it for a year myself...but am way faster now that when I started. I used to do well to crank out 50 rounds an hour when I first started from all the checking and double checking. Now that I have loaded and shot probably 2500 of my own rounds...I can churn out about 100-150 an hour on my Lee Turret without compromising any safety & quality checks. That's fast enough for me...no sense making work out of it.

I'm in Marietta - on the west side, actually. Let me know if you want to get a primer on handgun loading...that's all I load for at the moment.

well I had a good friend setup my press, I loaded about 200 by the book, im only using 24 grains of h335 for my 223 just to see how they proform. I will shoot them next week but im alittle scared cause ive never loaded before. I hope they all shoot great and no hospital bills

well I had a good friend setup my press, I loaded about 200 by the book, im only using 24 grains of h335 for my 223 just to see how they proform. I will shoot them next week but im alittle scared cause ive never loaded before. I hope they all shoot great and no hospital bills

Man, I can't help but to laugh a little. Pay attention to what you're doing and the wife or girlfriend, may put you in the hospital for all the time and money spent a shootin' and a loadin', but your ammo won't. Good Luck with em' all! Chuckdog

Handloading is a very fulfilling hobby. I was able to, thanks to the kindness of forum members here & elsewhere, get most of what I needed to get started for free. I got a Lee & a Lyman manual, as well as a single stage Lee press & some old .357 Mag dies & I was on my way. All the gear & components gathered dust for four months. I wasn't comfortable going forward until I knew & understood as much about the practice as possible. I'll be honest, I had real safety concerns. I read both manuals (I'll change pace a bit & recommend the Lee over the Lyman - appealed to my mentality a little more & Richard Lee is a great old man - if you ever have the chance to meet him, don't pass it up) & by the time I had finished, I was ready to crank out some target rounds... Each OAL carefully measured with callipers, & each charge precisely weighed. The next day I hit the range with 100 .38 special rounds. The 148gr LWCs I loaded fired without fail, recoiled very mildly, & were among the most accurate rounds I'd fired to this point. There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of creating something economic, safe, & accurate. I'm hooked.

Back
Top Bottom