• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want to start reloading 357 what do I need?

$500-$600 and I hope to be able to get some powder primers and bullets. I have some brass. I'll start with 357 as I shoot it the most.

$379 get the Dillon Square Deal B with a die set and order the other die set ($86) total $465. They are proprietary dies but the no BS guarantee is what is says it is and if you wear them out (doubtful) break a pin etc. they will replace it free of charge.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25237/catid/1/Dillon_Square_Deal___039_B__039_

Use your other press for rifle. The Square Deal B will not do rifle but I prefer to load rifle on a single stage. You have a $130 or so to buy primer, powder and bullets. If you have the brass another $30 and you could load a 1000 rounds for +/-$160. The start up cost is around $625 if you have your own brass.

The cheapest Slickguns has ammo is 0.64 cents a round. so $640/1000 http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=16

So if not buying brass you will save on the first 1000 rounds pressed. If buying your 1K of brass then the next round and within the next few hundred or so.

I wanted to load 223 and 10mm, so I bought a mishmash of different things.

Lee Breechlock press and die sets
Hornady dial caliper
Lyman tumbler, case trimmer, and deburr/chamfer tools
Frankford Arsenal digital powder scale and intertia bullet puller
Probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting

It all works pretty well. I think the next thing on my shopping list is a powder trickler. Not necessary, but could result in more consistent and accurate charges.

Primers are plentiful.. Bullets are fairly easy to find in most calibers. Brass is a mixed bag. Powder is by far the hardest thing to come by for me. You might have better luck on your side of town.

Find a good, experienced reloader and pay him to reload for you.

Don't that kind of defeat the purpose. I have limited experience reloading but I have reloaded 308. I haven't loaded thousands of rounds but I understand the general principles. I'm just trying to get some info on a good start up set strictly for pistol caliber reloading. Thanks for the encouraging words

There are liability issues on both ends to pay some dude to load your own. However, I have friends and know of others that you bring your chit and use a reloaders equipment to load your own on.

You have the budget. You could stay single stage with pistol ammo and save a large amount of initial cost, since you already have everything except the dies. I assumed since you didn't just buy the dies, you wanted to move onward, logically a progressive press.

For a new reloader wanting to go progressive the Dillon is probably the easiest to learn, has awesome product support and a no BS warranty-it breaks, you call, they send it and no charge. The Lee you mention and others have a history of being tedious to setup and run right but once you set them up right I hear do a fine job. The lee takes standard dies and you can run rifle with it.

I cannot recall anyone complaining that they can't get their Dillon up and running, doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just don't ever hear about it. The same cannot be said for the others.

RamRoddoc I appreciate your honesty. I was using a press my father had to reload rifle. I have absolutely zero reloading equipment and I'm looking to start and be able to load with the out to much hassle and with out spending the cost of a new 1911 lol. I've got a Smith and Wesson 329 night guard and 327 night guard to feed. If I could get set up with the reloading equipment and componets for 357 under 600 I'd be happy happy happy. I don't necessarily need a progressive. But that would be sweet

You could start with a Lee Classic Turret press. It does auto indexing so it's kind of a mix between progressive and single stage but only one thing is happening at a time so it's easy to use. I use this for .357 mag, .44 spcl, and .44 mag. You set up an extra turret head and switching between calibers is a snap. You can disable the auto indexing and manually index it if that's how you want to work. Get the 4 die sets from Lee with the factory crimp die and you'll be able to crank out some quality ammo. This is a good place to get Lee reloading stuff.

http://www.titanreloading.com/

Back
Top Bottom