• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want to start reloading 357 what do I need?

Look at a rock chucker kit. It retails for about $300 or a turrett press kit which is more, but saves a tremendous amount of time when loading for pistol or for service rifles.

Is there a down side to going with the Lee 1000 with the dies included? It's cheaper and looks like it may be faster. I have read mixed reviews on the functionality of the setup. I don't want to have to constantly be messing with things. I don't mind a single stage. I like the concept behind the turret stay press the most. I'm just trying to go the safest and. Oat affordable route. My budget is $500 but that would have to include primers, bullets, dies and powder

I jumped into a Dillon 550 for my first press and I'm really glad I did. It take more initial reading and work to understand what all is going on, but I'm extremely happy i went with the 550 over the rockchucker I was originally looking at. Drhumphries will get you out the door on a 550 around $520 set up to load one caliper, add a scale and calipers and your set

The lee classic turret is a good press. Plus it can be run as a single stage. It would be a good alternative if you do not want to spend the $ ON A Dillon. I found the pro 1000 to run fine, but you will want to hand prime your brass.

I've converted over to a Dillon 650 and 550. Single stage for my rifle and depriming. The dillons are sweet machines. I would take the Lee turret over the 1000.

I learned the basics on a friend's Rock Chucker many years ago. I ended up buying a Dillon 550 and later did the 550B upgrades (now standard items.) I loaded countless 9mm rounds and never had the first issue with the Dillon. Unfortunately when I geared up for a couple of new calibers, I had to sell it because of finances. If I get back into reloading, it will be a Dillon for pistol or a Rock Chucker for rifle. The speed of the Dillon is fantastic, but I prefer personally handing each step for rifle reloading.

The lee classic turret is a good press. Plus it can be run as a single stage. It would be a good alternative if you do not want to spend the $ ON A Dillon. I found the pro 1000 to run fine, but you will want to hand prime your brass.

I've converted over to a Dillon 650 and 550. Single stage for my rifle and depriming. The dillons are sweet machines. I would take the Lee turret over the 1000.
Out of pure curiosity why? I assume the priming is a hang up on the 1000.

I learned the basics on a friend's Rock Chucker many years ago. I ended up buying a Dillon 550 and later did the 550B upgrades (now standard items.) I loaded countless 9mm rounds and never had the first issue with the Dillon. Unfortunately when I geared up for a couple of new calibers, I had to sell it because of finances. If I get back into reloading, it will be a Dillon for pistol or a Rock Chucker for rifle. The speed of the Dillon is fantastic, but I prefer personally handing each step for rifle reloading.

This is also my setup. Rock chucker for the rifle and dillon for pistol. My advise is to start on a single stage. That way you can see, study, & understand every step until you get comfortable. I used a RC for 5 years before stepping up to a dillon.

We have the "DILLON EQUIPMENT", all the way, if your concern is initial expense, then look at a used RCBS ROCK CRUSHER, and build from there and then up-grade..

just a suggestion.........................

Back
Top Bottom