• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was stopped at a road block last night.

jmullinix

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
I haven't been carrying very long and was stopped at a license check last night.

When I pulled up to the officer, I put the car in park and put both hands on the wheel. By then, he had said that this was a license check and asked to see my license. At that time I said, "Officer, I am armed." He then asked me where the gun was and I told him where they were. He shined his flashlight at both locations and asked if I had a permit. I responded that I did and it was in my left front pocket. I reached for my wallet and removed my license and GWL and handed them to him. He took a quick glance at both and commented that I had the new style GWL. I said that I had just gotten it recently.

He handed my license and GWL back to me, then thanked me for letting him know that I was carrying. The entire process took less than a minute.

Sounds like you had a LEO that understands CCW.. I once asked 10 LEO's if they wanted to know if people were CCW. All 10 of them said that they suspect that everyone has a gun in the car..

okay... I will be that guy... you know you dont need a permit to carry in your car. It could have gone very differently if the cop was one of the ones that dont like armed civilians. I personally would not have disclosed that I was carrying. If he saw it, cool, otherwise, its none of his damn business. Here is my driver's license, thank you and have a nice day.

... but I am glad it turned out well for you.

For the most part I've never had an issue with an LEO when I was at a checkpoint and carrying. One time though i got pulled over for an out headlight. And when i was asked to show him my license, i told him i had my gun in the car and told him where it was. Then showed him my CCW license and drivers license then he asked me and my friend to get out of my truck, he then proceeded to take my gun out of my truck and put it in his patrol car. Then ran my plates, and Id's while i waited around my truck. When everything came back ok he made me get my gun out of his car and put it back into my truck. Then let me go. RANDOM i know.

okay... I will be that guy... you know you dont need a permit to carry in your car. It could have gone very differently if the cop was one of the ones that dont like armed civilians. I personally would not have disclosed that I was carrying. If he saw it, cool, otherwise, its none of his damn business. Here is my driver's license, thank you and have a nice day.

Oh your THAT guy? :cool-new:

I generally don't discuss what I am carrying with anyone I encounter, but everything seemed to work out. Some states require citizens to inform an officer of a weapon in the car.

I agree.

At a checkpoint I will not disclose I have a gun. The only time I will tell an officer I have a weapon is if I have to get out of the car and my carry gun is in my waistband. I'm glad everything went ok but I have personally seen instances where they did not and heard about many more. I just see no reason to be at a checkpoint any longer than I have to be just because I told the officer I was armed when all he wanted to see was my DL. Not to mention like already stated he had no business checking your GWL because you don't need it for carrying in your car.

Several years ago I was stopped for speeding and informed the officer that there was a gun in the auto. He asked where it was and I told him it was in the door pocket by me. He simply said thanks for letting him know and he never looked at itVery courteous..

I don't know if CCW is cross referenceed in the data base they check when you are stopped. An istructor told me years ago that it is best to let them know, than to let them see it or find out from their data base.

In GA, there is no method for a Law Enforcement Officer to know before you tell them that there is a firearm in the vehicle. As stated, they assume every vehicle has a firearm in them. Having carrier for almost 20 years and worked in Law Enforcement previously, I choose to not inform unless it is going to become part of the discussion in some way. I.e. asked to step out, carrying openly in the car etc..

Back
Top Bottom