• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was stopped at a road block last night.

There's a serious lack of "walk a mile in someone elses shoes" around these days. My respect for cops and my willingness to cooperate even when my rights do not require me to stems in large part from my understanding of the other point of view. It's really sad to me that so many people think their rights trump everything and either can't comprehend or just don't care about what cops have to deal with all too frequently. Personally I LIKE seeing cops. Their very presence helps to lessen crime and makes my family safer whether or not I am there. Lack of cops would lead to anarchy to one degree or another. And anyone who fails to see the danger in that is a damn fool. So, even though a cop in my rear wiew mirror still gives me the puckers, I know it's a holdover from my younger, more ticket prone days than from cops being inherently bad or negative.

As for cops being perceived as assholes, well some few are. But most are just normal guys doing a damn hard job for inadequate pay and precious little appreciation. The ones who break laws, abuse their power and make asses of themselves are tragic and overnoted when the majority who garner no notice are great people. Sad. I remember when I was a young GI in Germany some friends and I went into a small Italian restaurant for dinner and on the tables was a sign that said "American's welcome but please do not drink too much and become drunk and make trouble". I made it my personal goal to become an ambassador for young drunk GIs from that moment on. As a result, the owner, Papa Santo took the signs down and we became friends. He, unlike many here, took to heart the positive example of those of us who tried to be decent as the rule and the jackasses as the exception whereas some guys look at the bad examples and try to say that the bad is the rule and the good the exception.

The way I see it is if cops are your enemy you are probably living wrong to start with. Live within the laws and cops have no beef with you.

Last edited:
WHAT? Wow....its not a cops job to seek crime out. A traffic stop is the result of a crime.

Bear, I'm with you sir and appreciate you being supportive. It is a dangerouse job, and its "COURTEOUS" to help lower the risk factors. Everyone's entitled to be armed, legally of course. I don't expect everyone to tell me, but it puts me at ease when someone informs me right off the bat. I said before, because you don't reveal it doesn't mean I'll turn into a raging ***hole later. It simply gives me more confidence that things are going to go a lot better when someone does reveal. I honestly can't recall the last time I removed someone's legally held firearm from their vehicle. I may ask you to put it in a secure place, locked glove box for example, for the duration of the stop.

a traffic court and criminal court are different, handing out tickets to generate revenue is not seeking crime

and ya its a dangerous job, so are a bunch of other jobs, but you signed up for it.

what difference does it make to you if i tell you im armed or not? does it make you feel better (cause i honestly dont care, you would be the one who stopped me)

and you sound like a nice cop, but i havent really run into a cop before who ever asked me to do anything, more like ordered.

i dont have a problem with cops, i treat them like i would everyone else, and since i dont tell anyone else im armed i dont feel the need to volunteer that information, i dont see what the issue with that is

Man I'm glad I don't live in an area with the kind of cops that some of you guys do.

On the lighter side of a traffic stop, her's a story for you.

I've had no issues around (knocking on my head right now) here, heck I rolled up on a road block on a Monday morning with every gun I had for sale at the gun show the weekend before. It was late when I got home so I didn't unload and I had a 7:00AM meeting, then right back home........so I thought. The catch was, I forgot my wallet!

I simply pulled over where all of the painters and landscapers were and told the Sgt in charge what was up. I offered my name and DL number so he could check me out and he did. In the process I noticed, and was noticed by a few of the cops that I shoot with and gave a "How ya doing!". The Sgt in charge of the Painter's/landscapers section of the check asked how I knew his co-workers and I told him, "I shoot with those goof balls and one still owes me money from the last time." I was then asked if I would help a new guy and go through some questions. I told him I would and a young guy walks up to my truck and asked if I had any drugs, weapons or dead bodies in the truck. I simply said NO, YES, NO. ........total silence, so I asked him "You forgot what order you asked the questions didn't you." The kid drops his head and says "Yes sir." we all had a big laugh.

When the Sgt asked, "So, you do have a weapon in the truck? I laughed and said "I worked a gun show yesterday and didn't unload last night so heck yes, I got more guns in here than you guys have out there." The Sgt asked me if I would mind stepping out of my truck and waved over one of his co-workers. Our mutual friend was asked how well he knew me. Our friend points his finger at me and smiles, he asks "this guy?" then turns to the Sgt and says "He's not the brightest guy, but he's good". and everything went fine. I didn't sell anything, but I did get sent on my way with a range date and pat on the back.

BTW, my wife did bring my DL to me (and got checked herself) while all of this went on. I find that most cops are just like the rest of us, just trying to do their job and get home.

LOL! I love that bit about the "no, yes, no". I saw on one of those cop shows where the cop asked the guy if he had 4 or 5 things and thought it would be a laugh to give him a "no, no, yes, no, yes..."

Mdog I wish everyone had the attitude that you do.

As do I. Recognizing that all do not, I thank you very much for the support sir.

19 kilo....great story. And your avatar is freaking me out....LOL

Guys, I'm at work right now. My wife is at home alone right now. Thank YOU for making that possible.

Back
Top Bottom