• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

i would rather stay home.......

than ever go fishing for bluegill/shell cracker or cat fish. BORING.

Gonna have to disagree with you to some degree on that, Rick.

Once in a blue moon I caught some nice strong bluegills on a small surface fly behind a clear floating bubble in my younger day. It was a blast to see them hit on ultralight tackle.

Concerning Kittie-cats, I spent most of my life catching smaller ones, and I agree with you there.

But once my wife and I joined a Striper club and learned how to target big stripers and catfish, I very much enjoyed catching the bigger kitties, mostly Blues and Flatties.

The key is to use big live baits - big Gizzard Shad and Threadfin, and fish current breaks if you have a boat. Focus on fishing current breaks like trees in the water, or even small mounds in the middle of the river. The will hide between mounds and pick off bait as it flows past them Catching a 20 - 35 pound kitty was a ton of fun, especially on light leader (15 pound test, flouro leader).

The pain is having to throw a cast net and catching the bait, and the expense of having a big bait tank that keeps them healthy all day. :) But big Gizzards will eventually get the attention of a big old kitty.

Small cats though, yeah, I definitely agree with you unless I'm eating them :)

Gonna have to disagree with you to some degree on that, Rick.

Once in a blue moon I caught some nice strong bluegills on a small surface fly behind a clear floating bubble in my younger day. It was a blast to see them hit on ultralight tackle.

Concerning Kittie-cats, I spent most of my life catching smaller ones, and I agree with you there.

But once my wife and I joined a Striper club and learned how to target big stripers and catfish, I very much enjoyed catching the bigger kitties, mostly Blues and Flatties.

The key is to use big live baits - big Gizzard Shad and Threadfin, and fish current breaks if you have a boat. Focus on fishing current breaks like trees in the water, or even small mounds in the middle of the river. The will hide between mounds and pick off bait as it flows past them Catching a 20 - 35 pound kitty was a ton of fun, especially on light leader (15 pound test, flouro leader).

The pain is having to throw a cast net and catching the bait, and the expense of having a big bait tank that keeps them healthy all day. :) But big Gizzards will eventually get the attention of a big old kitty.

Small cats though, yeah, I definitely agree with you unless I'm eating them :)
ive never tried gills on a 3wt. that might get my attention.
as for cats, there just isnt much real fight to them i find.
im not a plunker so that makes a difference possibly. i gotta keep moving,
keep casting. i grew up on cats. thats all i knew for a very log time.
but i found river trout fishing, saltwater fishing, surf fishing, and ive grown
to expect more for my efferts i guess.
yeah cats are popular and have their own following i know. kinda like carp fishing.
ive caught several carp over the yrs and found them to be more a PITA than anything, but
they have a following thats for sure.

I love to trout fish but living south of the congo its not always easy to get to those fun fish. I do have a 2ac pond and maybe bluegill are boring but since i started using Tenkara(yes...i know its not 'real' flyfishing) its a blast to catch them. The suntech Kureia is 9.7 feet @ 0.9oz. It'll fold over even with small bream. heres a pik of rod.
ive been watching videos on this method. it looks a bit
interesting honestly. thing that would drive me nuts is
the very limited cast distances.

ive been watching videos on this method. it looks a bit
interesting honestly. thing that would drive me nuts is
the very limited cast distances.
i use the 9-10 footers on small aka wildcat, holly,boggs creeks. I have a few 12-14 foot ones with line you can drop a fly 30ft. My problem is landing fish with 15ft line on a 12 ft rod.
I need more fishing practice:happy: 🛶:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom