• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Idea for an interesting .357

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
What do you guys think of using a .357 Maximum case with a .358 diameter 148-grain wad-cutter seated flush with a light dose of Bullseye in a regular .357 Mag revolver? My hope is that the extra length will relieve me of some of the headache of scrubbing residue which never seems to fully go away from the chambers after a range session with mostly lead bullets. Thoughts?

We always called it our 38/22 load. I've used Unique instead of Bullseye. Chronographed at ~700fps.
It was neat to fire at a target about 600 yards away and wait nearly 3 full seconds for impact.
Kept the leading down but still had residue to push out....

It's a tried and true technique.

Also, if you use Hodgdon Clays instead of Bullseye, you'll do less scrubbing.

I do have a couple pounds of Clays in the closet. Why's Clays resut in less scrubbing? Something to do with the burn rate?

It's the formulation. Different powders have different coatings to alter the burn rate, and also help with metering (less friction, which reduces resistance and static cling in metering devices, scoops, etc). Clays doesn't use any black coating (graphite?) on the outside of the powder, and it leaves the firearm cleaner after shooting.

Make sure it's regular Clays and not Universal Clays or International Clays. The regular Clays has a burning speed similar to Bullseye (fast). Universal and International are medium burn rate pistol/shotgun powders.

Last edited:
If I read it correctly -- you are thinking of using a 357 Maximum case in a 357 Magnum -- it won't fit. It will run into the chamber's shoulder.

Not exactly an answer to the question but, I shoot a lot of .38's through my .357's. When cleaning the chambers, I'll take a .40 cal brush on a rod, and insert it into the chuck of a cordless drill. Using a good solvent I can usually have the chambers cleaned up in just a few minutes.

Wheeler

Back
Top Bottom