• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

(IDEA) Vietnam Triangle style Free float handguard system (Idea)

oldalabamaroad

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
Man oh man, I’ve been kicking this idea around for a bit.
Follow me here, free floated tube with attachment points for Triangle Handguards!
This would be rad. It’s an impractical idea, but I love it. AND the cutouts on the top could be M-loc shaped

I know this would take a solid 10 hours in solid works, and may be too heavy to be viable and too expensive to even create, but I’ve had the idea for a while and WANTED to make it exist.

In my head, the setup is a Daniel PDW Pistol with the handguard ending just around the midpoint of the muzzle device so that a suppressor is tucked into it juuuust enough that you could still get a wrench on it if need be, but you would still get that awesome protruding suppressor look.

Also, a carry handle with a micro red dot in the rear site block would be sweet. G36 positioning with m16a1 style.

What do you guys think???

Attachments

• B79F5B1A-795A-4292-BB16-DD252D74803C.png
    B79F5B1A-795A-4292-BB16-DD252D74803C.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 17
  • CA672E68-43FE-4F84-B303-A40DE8C06A92.jpeg
    CA672E68-43FE-4F84-B303-A40DE8C06A92.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 18
The biggest issue is the triangle, it's not straight. I think most modern aluminum handguards are extrusion which are straight. First thought would be to use a custom extrusion with a fortis rev style gi barrel nut lock and a second inner collar at the front of the handguard. That gives you 2 points to attach your plastic without touching the barrel.

The biggest issue is the triangle, it's not straight. I think most modern aluminum handguards are extrusion which are straight. First thought would be to use a custom extrusion with a fortis rev style gi barrel nut lock and a second inner collar at the front of the handguard. That gives you 2 points to attach your plastic without touching the barrel.
This, you could make a “triangle shaped” aluminum handguard but wouldn’t be able to preserve the exact ergonomic feel. You’d most likely have to machine flatter sections to machine the mlok sections.
I think B5 made a drop in polymer handguard at one point with mlok something like that would be more feasible but free float adds a lot of complexity

This, you could make a “triangle shaped” aluminum handguard but wouldn’t be able to preserve the exact ergonomic feel. You’d most likely have to machine flatter sections to machine the mlok sections.
I think B5 made a drop in polymer handguard at one point with mlok something like that would be more feasible but free float adds a lot of complexity

that is more or less what i was thinking. it's all doable and the decision trees starts at what is the purpose. Is it a production piece that is expected to exceed someone's idea of military grade off youtube, something that is one off and built super tough or functional with price point in mind. below is fortis rail and triangle hand guard overlay to get an ideal of the size transition. if it was production price point piece, i would use the front triangle as the extrusion profile constraint, move the clamps down and in. I'm not sure if you could modify an existing triangle enough or if it's new mold time for the clamshell overlay. instead of the little metal rings clamping the barrel, they would be clamping the extrusion to maintain freefloat. The gi nut could hurt more than help and a seekins type sleeve nut with some offset material at the bottom would work.

1642603329681.png

Building off of this concept, and extrusion with threads on the outside on the receiver end, and And internally threaded rather nut, that would rely on torque to hold the hand guards forward rather than using the spring.

01EA00AC-E1F0-4CBD-AD57-944A9F2B2539.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom