• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ideal proprietary temp for gun storage?

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of an upstairs addition to my house as an upgrade for my Gun, Guitar, and Historical Relic room. I've got a background in commercial/industrial electrical, so I have a few fire safety guys willing to lend their knowledge in fireproofing & sealing the room top to bottom and side to side and the structural walls under it.

My question to the vast wealth of knowledge that is the ODT is; If I plan on putting a proprietary HVAC system in solely for the purpose of maintaining the quality of the contents of that room, would I be able to attain the desired results?

In my industry lab conditions are 73 degrees and 50% humidity...

Have no idea about proper gun storage...but I will say if you keep them cool/dry and then take them out in the summer they will sweat, so...I dunno.

Wood is composed of cellulose fibers which adapt to their surroundings...so if you store a rifle in dry conditions and take it out to shoot in 90% humidity it will take on moisture, but I may be over-thinking this.

Hopefully someone with a good answer will reply!

In my industry lab conditions are 73 degrees and 50% humidity...

Have no idea about proper gun storage...but I will say if you keep them cool/dry and then take them out in the summer they will sweat, so...I dunno.

Wood is composed of cellulose fibers which adapt to their surroundings...so if you store a rifle in dry conditions and take it out to shoot in 90% humidity it will take on moisture, but I may be over-thinking this.

Hopefully someone with a good answer will reply!

I was thinking about the summer sweat issue earlier, myself. I was just curious if I were to keep the temps set with the contents of the room in mind; for example: in the summer when it's 85-95 out most people have their systems set at 65-72 for comfort. In that scenario I was pondering running the room at 74-77 and the just check the humidity(which hopefully shouldn't be bad since it's a controlled constant).

I may be way off with my thought process...like I said electrician here.

Why did Mr. Ohm marry Mrs. Ohm? ......He couldn't resistor!!!

Also, I forgot to mention. Anything that leaves the room would have two other rooms of the house to pass through before it gets outside. So I don't know if the temp step down would make a difference in a barrel sweat scenario.

Worry less about the temp and more about humidity. 45-55% is your ideal range.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This. Trouble only appears when humidity is off or when there is a radical change in temperature. Taking an object from the air conditioned room to a hot trunk is the type of thing that causes condensation.

One issue you will have is this: Depending on the type of proprietary mechanical equipment that you use to control the environment in the room, you will most likely be controlling to the humidity rather than the temperature - e.g., on standard split systems there is no real dehumidification process, the dehumidification is provided by bringing the temperature of the room down (as long as you have a thermostat that can run the dehumidification sequence like a NEST) rather than burners to dry the air out. I agree with what was said above: 70 degrees at 50% humidity is ideal but the temperature is really irrelevant as long as the humidity is maintained...

One issue you will have is this: Depending on the type of proprietary mechanical equipment that you use to control the environment in the room, you will most likely be controlling to the humidity rather than the temperature - e.g., on standard split systems there is no real dehumidification process, the dehumidification is provided by bringing the temperature of the room down (as long as you have a thermostat that can run the dehumidification sequence like a NEST) rather than burners to dry the air out. I agree with what was said above: 70 degrees at 50% humidity is ideal but the temperature is really irrelevant as long as the humidity is maintained...

70 degrees at 50% would be ideal for my guitars, as well. I'll look at some all in one units(Temp and hygrometer). It probably wouldn't be hard to pipe out a a drain line for a dehumidifier in the room, if that would be a benefit.

70 degrees at 50% would be ideal for my guitars, as well. I'll look at some all in one units(Temp and hygrometer). It probably wouldn't be hard to pipe out a a drain line for a dehumidifier in the room, if that would be a benefit.
If a dehumid unit is in your budget, that would definitely be the way to go, it would also allow you to keep the room at a moderate temp while maintaining the humidity level you want. It goes without saying, if the room is warmer (70 degrees) then you will see much less issue with condensation on your weapons when/if you take them out of the room.

My guitar room stays around 50% humidity and 71 degrees. There is a safe in there and some weapons in a locked closet.....this range seems to work best for all of it

Back
Top Bottom