• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ideas for a solid 6.8 SPC round for deer & hog

I handload using Barnes TTSX 110gr. with 28.5 gr of AA2230. Very accurate and very lethal. I've shot deer and hogs with excellent results. I have a similar handload using Nosler 110gr Accubond with 28gr AA2230. Excellent accuracy. I haven't hunted with them but Accubond bullets have a great reputation.

X2 I reload as well and use the 110gr Accubond & AA2230 and like it. Charge weight will vary slightly from gun to gun but 28gr is a good place to start. I settled in slightly higher than that (28.2 I think).

As for off the shelf stuff, I have shot Hornady 120gr SST's and liked them as well as the Silver State 85gr. I liked the accuracy of the Hornady's better but liked the speed and flatter shooting Silver State due to the lighter projectile.

As for glass, just depends on what you wanna spend! Trijicon makes great glass but they are proud of it too. I know one other member mentioned having a bad experience with Vortex, but I've only got good stuff to say about their glass as well. Leopold is known for good glass too. The list is so along it's hard to say, just comes down to preference and budget.

Good luck with your 6.8, I love mine. Its one of the top two guns in my current collection. If you wanna tap into the minds of a group that live/breath this caliber, check out 68forums.com. It's no ODT (IMO), but they focus on 6.8 there and there is definitely some good info and knowledgeable people there.

X2 I reload as well and use the 110gr Accubond & AA2230 and like it. Charge weight will vary slightly from gun to gun but 28gr is a good place to start. I settled in slightly higher than that (28.2 I think).

As for off the shelf stuff, I have shot Hornady 120gr SST's and liked them as well as the Silver State 85gr. I liked the accuracy of the Hornady's better but liked the speed and flatter shooting Silver State due to the lighter projectile.

As for glass, just depends on what you wanna spend! Trijicon makes great glass but they are proud of it too. I know one other member mentioned having a bad experience with Vortex, but I've only got good stuff to say about their glass as well. Leopold is known for good glass too. The list is so along it's hard to say, just comes down to preference and budget.

Good luck with your 6.8, I love mine. Its one of the top two guns in my current collection. If you wanna tap into the minds of a group that live/breath this caliber, check out 68forums.com. It's no ODT (IMO), but they focus on 6.8 there and there is definitely some good info and knowledgeable people there.

I really wanted to have my 6.8 ready to go b4 my season was over, but it just aint gonna happen. Thankful to the Lord my 7mm08 put 2 does in the freezer so I have some good venison and time to set up my new rifle properly b4 next season begins. I have heard good things about higher end Vortex glass, but the Diamondback (3.5-10x42 I believe) my brother had was a piece. I traded into a Trijicon on another rifle and was hooked! Yes they are pricey, but worth every penny (IMO). I appreciate your input and load info. I plan to start the load work up process as soon as I can acquire the proper components. Thx Bronco and be safe.

Check with codep codep . He has a good bit of experience with this round. I can't remember what 6.8 SPC load we used on our hunt with him but I do know that all of our shots were 1 shot kills on hogs ranging from 100#-250# in size.
Love the 6.8 spc...all I have ever run through it is 110 grn. Hornady vmax....they have never let me down yet...

IMG_7153.PNG
My little secret is the SSA 90 bsb that Nosler actually makes.. I chrono them at 2500 fps in a 12" sbr. These bullets hold up to 90% of there weight upon impact. These projectiles crush pigs and are cheap!! I get them off midway for 18-21$ a box.. I'm very impressed with the speed and accuracy I reload a lot and these bullets are cheap enough I don't have to which saves me time for my long range rifles..

I have a DPMS lower, with a Chip McCormack trigger, equipped with a Stag 7H upper receiver chambered for the 6.8 SPC cartridge. I whipped this package up after I shot a 105 lb doe with a Smith and Wesson M&P15 equipped with a Smith and Wesson .300 AAC Blackout upper. I shot the doe and it ran 300 yards before dropping. The deer had presented a dead on shot with a slight right angle at 35 yards. I shot her dead center in the middle of it's chest. The 115 grain Blackout bullet took out both lungs and never exited. Blood trail was almost non-existent. Thus I was not overly happy with the .300 Blackout. I sold the M&P15.

Next, I picked up a DPMS Oracle in 5.56mm. I set up that upper for coyotes. Then I sent off to Stag for the 6.8 SPC 7H upper. I ordered a CMC match grade trigger from MidwayUSA and installed it. I also ordered a Bushnell Trophy 1.5 x 4.5 x 32 scope. I mounted it and sighted it in.

Finally the moment of truth came. I was presented with the exact same shot by a 167 lb doe; head on, slightly quartering to the right. At a laser range finder verified distance of 230 yards, I sent a Hornady 120 grain SST bullet dead center into the chest. This larger deer dropped straight down and never even twitched!!! Now that is how you kill a deer with an AR! Oh excuse me, make that a Modern Sporting Rifle!!! And Bill Clinton said that there was no sporting use for an assault rifle!!! :cool::cool::cool: What the hell does "Slick Willie" know??

Doe Taken Modern Sporting Rifle (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom