• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If You Carry Know Your Laws! (FAQ)

mountainpass - VERY interesting. I read the info at the link and yup, it clearly says that "Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States" are excempted from needing a GWL to carry. I find it surprising that it does not have a stipulation in there about "while in the line of duty /on duty" or something similar.

Thanks for the link. I should have had that myself.

Post edited to add - My personal *opinion* is that if you are in the military, and if it is at all possible, get a Georgia GWL and not rely on this excemption. (That comes from serving for 20 years on active duty.) However the law seems very clear: being military = no GWL required.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited:
mountainpass - VERY interesting. I read the info at the link and yup, it clearly says that "Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States" are excempted from needing a GWL to carry. I find it surprising that it does not have a stipulation in there about "while in the line of duty /on duty" or something similar.

Thanks for the link. I should have had that myself.

Post edited to add - My personal *opinion* is that if you are in the military, and if it is at all possible, get a Georgia GWL and not rely on this excemption. (That comes from serving for 20 years on active duty.) However the law seems very clear: being military = no GWL required.

Regards,
Rob

Rob also you don't need to be 21 to carry in Ga if you are active military. Also you can carry in places that I as a GWL holder cannot.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm going to be getting my first handgun soon and I just want to be sure I'm interpreting the law right. From my understanding, basically if you want to carry your gun on your hip, ankle, etc (concealed) you would need to have a Concealed Carry Permit which you can apply for at your local probate court. I do not particularly think I want to carry my gun on me at all times on my hip, but really just want to have it in the truck for those just in case moments. What is unclear to me is the laws for carrying in my vehicle. If I want to carry this pistol in my truck, obviously I do not want to have it sitting out in the open, begging for someone to break my window in and take it. My confusion is that if I keep this gun under my seat, in the center console, in the door side pocket, (basically out of sight so it's not stolen) is that concealed; and illegal if I don't have the conceal carry permit? Or is it only considered concealed if I have it actually on my waist, hip, etc? I just don't want to get pulled over one day and then be in an ordeal where I am breaking the law and arrested because I didn't understand correctly. Sorry again if it's a dumb question, but I just want to be by the law and figured you guys could put it in layman's terms for me.

You can have it in your car, anywhere you want, no GWL required.
I still suggest getting one though. In Georgia, it's not called a concealed carry permit. It's called a Georgia Weapon License, or Georgia Firearm License. With the license, you can carry concealed or openly.

Yeah, I do plan on getting the license. It would have me covered either way, without question. I just know I'm not going to have a day that I can get to the courthouse to do that for a week or two. So I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be getting into any trouble, in the event that I did get pulled over with the gun any time before getting the license. And that license would pretty much cover me to carry concealed or open, other than in places that state otherwise (gov't buildings, schools, churches, etc)?

Back
Top Bottom