• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ignore list

chaostat

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
258   0
Reaction score
My ignore list is growing YUGE

but I have an idea- can we have a choice somewhere in between ignore and not ignore? Something that reminds us to take with a grain of salt what a member may listing as he/she has a history of mongering, or harassing fudds, or making fun of boomers?

My ignore list is growing YUGE

but I have an idea- can we have a choice somewhere in between ignore and not ignore? Something that reminds us to take with a grain of salt what a member may listing as he/she has a history of mongering, or harassing fudds, or making fun of boomers?

Honestly I had to look up that term fudd:

https://www.thegunwriter.com/24165/top-10-ways-to-spot-a-fudd/

While most of those traits sound downright funny, it also sounds like a pretext to make fun of older white guys. Sometimes they really do know things.

When I was younger (and even today) those guys who are the NRA - you shouldn't own that kind of gun were annoyances. They still are. They wrote for magazines, but still didn't know much more than the 20 year olds that spent their week-ends shooting. I knew a guy back then that really KNEW his excrement. He taught me a lot about M1 Garands and the M1a / M14 platform. He said we had a duty to pass what we knew down to the next generation. He would say back then "I'm seventy some years old and I'm not going to be around forever. It's time you guys learned how to fix these damn things."

So, I really got to know that platform, but this man was Hook Boutin. No matter what those of us that hung out at his place learned, we were never going to be in his league so we respect him and valued his opinions. I wonder sometimes how he would be treated on these forums if he were alive today and nobody knew who was behind that keyboard. Some of the personalities you describe as a fudd would be really annoying, but what I see here that is a commonality with all discussion boards. You have clique groups and self appointed gurus and when you come across them, they are brutal on old pharts that don't fully get this discussion board protocol. Our society has become extremely disrespectful and sometimes asking questions instead of stereotyping other posters might reveal a potential friend - maybe someone that evolved with your favorite firearm platform over a half century and has something worthy of being considered. Thank you for your thread, however. Maybe I should employ the ignore feature myself. I don't understand computers fully - and certainly not discussion board protocol, so I defer to people like you that can teach me something. Again, thank you for an enlightening piece of info.

Back
Top Bottom