• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Illegal illegal and that is illegal..

JDUB

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
Ain’t that a bitch… c’est la vie!
100   0
Reaction score
So now that pistol braces are no longer legal (set to be finalized sometime in Dec) to own without registering an SBR..does it really matter what kind of stock is on a <16” AR when it is sold or traded?

Or is it now applicable to sell/trade one without a stock on it and sell/trade a stock separately?

1669648230566.gif

So now that pistol braces are no longer legal (set to be finalized sometime in Dec) to own without registering an SBR..does it really matter what kind of stock is on a <16” AR when it is sold or traded?

Or is it now applicable to sell/trade one without a stock on it and sell/trade a stock separately?

View attachment 5014463
I don't know about 'pistol' ARs but I've seen where some people advertise the Mossberg Shockwave short barreled shotgun (which because of strict legal definitions qualifies for regular sale in FACTORY Condition) with pistol braces, other stocks, etc. My understanding is that the "firearm" no longer qualifies as such and that what they're trying to sell is an SBS with no stamp, etc. IOW, once you alter the original factory configuration with a brace or adjustable stock it 's another ball game.

I don't know about 'pistol' ARs but I've seen where some people advertise the Mossberg Shockwave short barreled shotgun (which because of strict legal definitions qualifies for regular sale in FACTORY Condition) with pistol braces, other stocks, etc. My understanding is that the "firearm" no longer qualifies as such and that what they're trying to sell is an SBS with no stamp, etc. IOW, once you alter the original factory configuration with a brace or adjustable stock it 's another ball game.
I have a bone stock Shockwave 12 that I inherited and I would never brace it for more than the legal reasons. To me bracing it takes away from the compact package it's intended to be.
As for praced pistols I think we should all expect the worst and prepare accordingly. Like removing the braces and storing them at whatever secret location far away from the pistols until we see how this plays out.
I've told a few lesser knowledgeable owners what's going on and they scoffed and said " There's way too many millions of them out there to just make them illegal". My answer to that is the ATF's secret mission statement is to make felons out of as many people as possible. That's just more people they don't have to bother with anymore. And the not up to speed average law abiding gun owner is probably the easiest target. Much easier than going into the Chicago hoods to round up all the Glocks with switches.

In a more general sense, what happens to people with - for example - an 'Other Fiream'.

1. It doesn't have a buttstock, nor can it take one, so it's not a rifle
2. It has a forward vertical grip, so it's not a pistol
3. The forward vertical grip AND an OAL of over 26" means it's not an AOW

Is the removal of the brace leaving just a buffer tube an option?

Obviously a stock COULD be added to turn it into an SBR, or a barrel extension could be added to bring the barrel length up to 16.25in to make it a conventional rifle,

1669650051435.png

I have a bone stock Shockwave 12 that I inherited and I would never brace it for more than the legal reasons. To me bracing it takes away from the compact package it's intended to be.
As for praced pistols I think we should all expect the worst and prepare accordingly. Like removing the braces and storing them at whatever secret location far away from the pistols until we see how this plays out.
I've told a few lesser knowledgeable owners what's going on and they scoffed and said " There's way too many millions of them out there to just make them illegal". My answer to that is the ATF's secret mission statement is to make felons out of as many people as possible. That's just more people they don't have to bother with anymore. And the not up to speed average law abiding gun owner is probably the easiest target. Much easier than going into the Chicago hoods to round up all the Glocks with switches.
I have a Mossberg 590 410 gauge Shockwave and I agree with you. Right now, I don't own any 'braces' for it - likely never will. It works just fine with no real need for one.

I have a Mossberg 590 410 gauge Shockwave and I agree with you. Right now, I don't own any 'braces' for it - likely never will. It works just fine with no real need for one.
Told my stepfather to consider buying the 20 gauge model when he bought this one. He never fired it once. If he had it would have broke something. About a year ago I loaded it up with bird shot and made it through 4 before just unloading the last one. It is NOT any kinda fun to shoot. I guess it's just for lookin' at .

Back
Top Bottom