• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'M BACK! Vacation Plans?

I think it would be a blast if the guide wasn't an asshole. He didn't have an asshole attitude, but was an asshole because of how he handled the trip. The very first thing he did was stress how hard they can be to spot, then he ran the boat at the equivalent of a pretty fast run. That means the person most likely to spot them is the guy at the front of the boat with 14 years experience. In other words, him. Then, if the fish had any size, he gigged it. Including a huge 28 inch fish. I know fishing guides will often fish at the same time their client does and I have no problem with that. But this was not fishing, this was hunting and what he was doing was the equivalent of the guide shooting the game before the client even had an opportunity at it. .

The whole boat was set up to put him in the perfect position. While he was at the right front in a well cushioned pedestal seat, I was behind him on the right of the boat standing on an 18 inch wide platform with no place to even lean for 6 hours. Often times he had the side of the boat right up against thick grass, which means I could barely see the water, much less the bottom. Meanwhile, he could see the bottom in front of the boat just fine.

I don't know what was wrong with him. As the night went on, he ran the boat faster and faster. For the last three hours of the trip we didn't see a single flounder. They were probably there, but we were moving so fast that even he couldn't spot them. The one fish I gigged that he had missed seeing got ripped off the gig before I could get him in the boat because there was so much water drag on him.

It was a very frustrating and uncomfortable night.

I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this. I have no words. I feel terrible for you...i hope at least the rest of your vacation was a good time!

I can't tell you how sorry I am to read this. I have no words. I feel terrible for you...i hope at least the rest of your vacation was a good time!
No worries. It was just one night. The rest has been great and I'm here until Tuesday. I'm going back out the where I caught the Blues to catch the incoming tide in a little while. There should be some Trout and Reds working the oyster beds in addition to random other species coming in. Should be interesting!

No worries. It was just one night. The rest has been great and I'm here until Tuesday. I'm going back out the where I caught the Blues to catch the incoming tide in a little while. There should be some Trout and Reds working the oyster beds in addition to random other species coming in. Should be interesting!

Let us know what you pull out.

Well, you said you wanted pics.

amelia beach2.jpg

One block from the hotel.

big flounder.jpg

17 inch Flounder I caught on an artificial yesterday.

Bigt1.jpg

The beach on Big Talbot Island.

deer3.jpg

The deer are friendly.

fort clinch.jpg

Fort Clinch.

Attachments

• deer2.jpg
    deer2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 5
lt.jpg

Spent a lot of time on the south end of Little Talbot Island.

fthur.jpg

Blue Fish. Fortunately, my wife loves these things.

fishsun.jpg

More Blues, a flounder and Whiting.

This is what happens when a big King Mackerel slams your bait on a 40lb rod when you have the drag set too tight. He almost got the rod and I had him on for about 15 minutes with two jumps before he gill cut a 50lb fluorocarbon leader. The 6/0 circle hook must have caught him perfectly in the corner of the mouth for him to stay on that long. It was a complete fluke that he was that close in at all.

bigfish.jpg

That shaft is supposed to be straight.

Back
Top Bottom