• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm considering buying a Jeep. Advise and smart-a** comments requested

Nate

Default rank 5000+ posts
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
286   0
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm considering buying a jeep to have as an extra vehicle and something fun that my wife and daughters could cruise around town and occasionally take to the mountains.

I know jeeps aren't known for reliability so I have some reservations. I'm handy but with 2 jobs and 2 kids I don't have time to piddle around with fixing a jeep constantly.

I like basic Jeeps. 2-4" of lift would be ideal.

I don't mind a brush guard and winch but don't want crazy mods and purple neons mounted to the frame.

1) I'm thinking about 2 options:
Option A: Spend less than $15k and find an older (maybe 1995-2005) 2 door wrangler with low miles and preferably 1 owner.
Option B: spend $25k-$35k and get a 4 door wrangler 2015ish with low miles and preferably 1 owner. 4 door would be much more convenient for the kids and surely more comfortable in the back seat.

2) I 100% believe that a jeep should be manual transmission. I'm sure my wife would appreciate an automatic. Are Jeep transmissions any good.

3) I've always heard the 4.0L inline 6 is a good engine. What are other good engines in Jeeps?

4) I'll never buy a car from the auto bail out era (2006-2009). i've heard too many stories of lemons in this timeframe. Any other models, engines, etc to avoid?

5) Aside from rust what should I watch out for? Signs of being submerged? etc?

Any other advice or smart-a** comments are welcomed.

4 door Jeeps?
wtf-disbelief.gif

I’m on my second one. First was a 15 soft top and now have a loaded 18 hard top. Both two door Saharas. You can have my man card. Both autos. I’m old now and don’t want to be changing gears even though I was of the same mindset. I have always had manuals. It handles so well. Turns on a dime. Only issue I’ve had with both was replacing radiator at around 70k. I wanted a Jeep since I was 18. Got the first one at 55. Soft top was a pia to put up and I like my ac so got a hardtop. You have to be a gymnast to get in back seat of a 2 door but nobody rides with me so all good. I live in the country and need 4wd. This Jeep works good for me.
B994A865-95C3-47C1-B561-7D51C2582447.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom