• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

**I'M DONE WITH IT**And the odyssey continues. Christensen 338LM.

Yeah, but don't know when I'll ever get another chance to really stretch it out like I was going to Saturday.

This just pisses me off that much more about wasting all that time and energy on the POS Christensen. If I had just gone with the Remington to start with I'd have had everything ready long ago.

Dear Bear,

This is the second year in a row I've signed up to go only to have to go to a Shut Down instead.

We'll both get it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447375055.337566.jpg

Once check is in hand atleast they stayed true to their word. Sub MOA or bust. Have you looked on the webbernet to see if this is a common theme among CA or if you got the 1 in 1k fluke?

Once check is in hand atleast they stayed true to their word. Sub MOA or bust. Have you looked on the webbernet to see if this is a common theme among CA or if you got the 1 in 1k fluke?
I've shot several CA before. They are about 80%. I'm just disappointed it took so long and so much pressure for them to live up to their guarantee.

Yep. We may have to make a trip out west to be able to shoot that far.

Where do you stay?

I'm considering going and talking to the neighbor. If he will let me, I can get 1400 easly shooting from his property to ours.

No gas/power line either.

Have you considered going, and shooting factory ammo? I did some testing last Saturday at CMP in Talledega with Hornady match .338 LM, and got a 5 shot average of 2942 with an SD of 4.2. This particular ammo uses a 250 gr BTHP. It shot just over .25 MOA @600 yards out of an Accurate Ordnance 338 with a 29" Brux

IMO it would definitely be worth a try. According to my calculator it would not go transonic until 1739 yards. Cabelas in Acworth has the stuff in stock!

What is the barrel length on your rifle? You may not get the same performance, but at least you are shooting. I can't imagine it would be terrible.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not going to make it to Legion. The method I chose to use to find a good load was to bump seating depth. I've had great success with this in the past. I can do a single load, seat everything long and then bump it as needed at the range. Once the right COAL is found, all I have to do is seat the remaining bullets to the same depth and they are ready to go. One procedure that I had to forgo this time because I was running out of time was to pressure test the loads before deciding what the final powder charge was going to be for the bump test ammo. I kept the charge far enough below max charge I didn't think it was going to be a problem. It was a gamble and I lost. Several signs of too much pressure. I fired three rounds and quit.

The good news is that those three rounds were sub MOA. The bad news is that I'm out of time and will not have another opportunity to get to the range before Saturday. I could still go with my 308, but frankly, I'm disgusted to the point all that seeing those 2000+ yard targets would do is piss me off.

Well, there was lots of mirage and some inconsistent wind. Nobody much was shooting past 800 anyway. It was a good time anyway though.

Well, there was lots of mirage and some inconsistent wind. Nobody much was shooting past 800 anyway. It was a good time anyway though.
Hopefully I'll catch it in the spring. I really want to stretch the 338 out and get some solid data at extreme ranges. The ballistic calculators are great, but they are never dead on. I use the Applied Ballistics app and the great thing about it is that you can calibrate it for the real world results you are getting under specific conditions. Then it will be very reliable under any conditions after you do that calibration. It greatly increase the likelihood of first round hits from then on out with the same rifle and load.

Back
Top Bottom