• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm not a reloader.

Just curious about this PF rating:

Has anyone ever seen this listed on store bought ammo boxes as part of the package information?
I often see the fps listed but have never seen (or maybe just never noticed) any PF info....

Just curious about this PF rating:

Has anyone ever seen this listed on store bought ammo boxes as part of the package information?
I often see the fps listed but have never seen (or maybe just never noticed) any PF info....

Never seen it listed. If you know the velocity and bullet weight, it's an easy calculation.

It's an arbitrary figure for competition purposes.

I don't know how they do it now but "back in the day" they would take 5 or 10 bullets from your magazines, run those over a chronograph, and average the results. You were reminded to have enough bullets for the course "plus 5".

Define "defensive"

An upside down HD Wadcutter in a .38 Special is a fine defensive round.

Back in the day, when run and shoot games started, the hardliners didn't want anything less than .45 hardball.

Some of them wanted the PF set so that no 9 mm round could qualify. A lot of guns were destroyed trying to get a 9mm round that would make major. A lot of 9mm X ?? rounds developed. Resurgence of .38 Super.

Then the military adopted the 9mm and the hardliners had to let them come to the party.

There's a whole thread on here right now about the .380 as a defensive round.

Anyway, PF is just a rule in a game, just like any other rule. Same reason in golf you can't use a super ball, or super club, it's a rule.
Well I believe there manafuctur has defined it here with a hollow point bullet.

Power factor is weight in grains times velocity in feet per second, divided by 1000.

It's momentum of the projectile, in a made-up handy unit.

Trying to pick and choose among commercial ammo to get a lower PF for some perceived benefit is pretty much pointless. The differences are minor. Practice, exercise your arms-- that's far more productive.

Back
Top Bottom