• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

Best prepper round is 50 AE

Mark XIX L5 for conceal carry/ankle gun and if necessary can (with enough practice and crisco) keister it to smuggle into secure facilities.

Mark XIX with the longer barrel and additional weight for a holsterable "duty" pistol with more accuracy and less recoil.

Finally a 50 AE ar-15 from tromix or one of the other quickly bankrupt companies that made meme AR's: https://www.gunsamerica.com/987566455/TROMIX-Sledgehammer-50AE-AR-15.htm

50AE out of a 16" barrel is like getting shot by a 9mm that will blow out your lungs.

If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.
500 mag

Application.
What are your total applications.

Self defense.
Hunting?
Get home.

The 9mm is a common round so availability is good.
Most likely you will have 1-3 mags fully loaded.

If you have a bulky get home bag it most likely will not be with you when you need it, plus a long gun and tacti-pack draws unwanted attention.

You want to be the gray man and not draw attention or the balls to the wall operator so you don't look easy.

A rifle cartridge over a pistol if you can have only one...in a hostile environment but easy to transport.

In the old days they didn't have the options we have today.
They had to go with a common do it all round.

Today I would have no problem with 9mm being the one.
It's not my favorite by any means but it is a capable and proven caliber.

If you are limited by magazine capacity or other factors go with a bigger or more powerful caliber.

No fully
semi-automatics then a .45 colt or .357 mag lever action makes a lot of sense.

.45 acp is common as well.

Application...hunting & survival,
7.62x39 is a strong contender.

NATO rounds for the win. That and buttootie load of 22 for them little rascals' that you might want to put in a pot for eatin. Just my .02
Several years ago, I culled my firearms to 4 rounds - 9mm, 45acp, .556, and .22, will still acquire a few .308 options for hunting. I thought it better to have firearms with readily available ammunition (if the military uses it, then the odds are pretty good it is going to be readily available). All things being equal, I'd love to have a 10mm pistol and a .338 rifle for SHTF but the reality is that once your ammo is gone, the likelihood of being able to scavenge more would be minimal.

Well, this thread’s strung out for almost a year, let’s see if we can limp it into 2024.
Still no TEOTWAWKI, but financial collapse of our country seems unavoidable.
Biggest threat right now would seem to be roving bands of looters, not particularly heavily armed.
Going to ride it to the buzzer secure in our well-stocked home ‘til we’re overrun.
So, weight of ammo and resupply not being a problem, .45 acp and 5.56 will be primary.
If it moves inside, 12 gauge riot gun and 5.7x28 in an AR57 with a stack of loaded 50 rd mags to burn through.
Then anyone who overruns us can rinse and repeat.

Once you discard all the zombie appocolypse combat assaulter pepper fantasies, you are correct. It makes sense to stock one round that will take care of most anything you might need. I personally like the 44 mag for matching the pistol to the rifle though.
Agreed. I have a 8+1 lever action(Henry) in .44 Mag, to go with my 6.5" ported Taurus .44 mag revolver. Or, a PSA Dagger and a Keltec Sub 2000 both chambered in 9mm with a trash bag full of Magpul Glock mags that feed both...

If I had to go in a hurry type of situation, I would likely grab one of those two combos...

Back
Top Bottom