• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.
When was the last time a military used the same cartridge for its rifles and sidearms?
You either have an underpowered rifle or overpowered handgun.
I love the .357 Magnum round and have owned several revolvers in that caliber and it would be convenient to also own a lever gun or even a pistol caliber carbine AR chambered the same I can't see it being practical.

If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.
Once you discard all the zombie appocolypse combat assaulter pepper fantasies, you are correct. It makes sense to stock one round that will take care of most anything you might need. I personally like the 44 mag for matching the pistol to the rifle though.

But equally, for an urban-ish environment, you can go 9mm pistol carbine. 9mm is likely to be quite plentiful as battlefield booty, and it's more compact than 556, although obviously, a less authorative round in more rural settings or urban against anyone with plates.

One added benefit for this is that many PCCs literally take the same mags that common pistols take, so you can have mag commonality too.

All depends on the scenario you're contemplating. Running battles with armed ninjas, or basic survival with a possibility of limited armed conflict.

A decent 357 revolver and lever aren't the worst idea for scenario 2. The ability to shoot 357 & 38 is useful from a supply perspective. Powerful enough to put at least something to eat on the table.

Also, you never know the condition of the rounds available in a longer term scenario. A revolver & lever will operate much more reliably with dubious or corroded ammo than those semis.

My heart is with you on this in fact I have a Rossi 357 and I am thinking about buying a 357 revolver I also have 44 mag carbine it would be hard to choose between the 357 and 44 mag

I'd put a different spin on it and say you want a caliber for a pistol and a 'carbine', not a 'rifle'.

A good carbine can extend the range and effectiveness of the pistol round without requiring separate ammunition like a true rifle would.

To me 9mm is the best choice for that. It's a good, general purpose round that can be used well in both a pistol and a carbine out to reasonable distances.

It is effective in both platforms and optimizes capacity, which as a couple of folks already mention is a critical issue if you think you may actually have to use it. It packs easily and the mags are compact and easily available for most combinations.

If you need a 'rifle' you are probably looking to reach out a bit, which is a far less common scenario in most cases.

Last I heard, our service members carry around 250 rounds into battle..
Even most of our special forces guys carry 7 loaded 30 round magazines n 3 loaded pistol magazines.
(around 250 rounds total)
I’m sure some of our combat vets can clarify how close that is to accurate? I don’t know.
but
If It’s good enough for them to parachute out of a plane and fight into a enemy combat zone.
I’m pretty sure it will protect me in my neighborhood.

I guess I mean for bug out scenario. Not prepping as in prepping your home for disasters but having to bug out and have a rifle and a pistol.
I have lever rifles and revolvers in .357 and .44 mag and they’re quite fun but not practical unless I plan on carrying loose rounds in bags or individually in bulky cartridge belts. I think my 9mm “truck gun/bug out” set up in 9mm is just fine. It allows me to carry dozens of rounds in both FMJ and hollow point in convenient Pez style dispensers called magazines…

Edit to add, my lever actions don’t break down to stow in a cool bag either.
2A302D6E-1502-4194-AF70-083613474D52.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom