• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

Depending on your use case, you might find that you don't have the same logistical support that our service members enjoy when deployed in a combat zone.

No resupply, and for many of the readers here, basic - if they ever did it - is over half a lifetime away - so I'm not sure whether it makes a lot of sense to demand that a bunch of Infantryman LARPers should be equipped the same way.

If you want an analogy, I'd say that we're closer to the kind of guys that were issued M1 carbines in WW2.

I have lever rifles and revolvers in .357 and .44 mag and they’re quite fun but not practical unless I plan on carrying loose rounds in bags or individually in bulky cartridge belts. I think my 9mm “truck gun/bug out” set up in 9mm is just fine. It allows me to carry dozens of rounds in both FMJ and hollow point in convenient Pez style dispensers called magazines…

Edit to add, my lever actions don’t break down to stow in a cool bag either.
View attachment 5180953

That's almost identical to the solution I have in a bug-out bag.

That's almost identical to the solution I have in a bug-out bag.
I also have a similar set up in .22lr. A 10/22 take down and a 22/45, both in ultralight configurations, but the bag has a couple hundred rounds of .22lr rather than dozens of 9mm as posted above.
E2DF3938-2A69-4F79-A6F7-213C3A1B59D8.jpeg

I couldn’t decide, so I took a puma saddle ring carbine and a colt saa both in 45 to one spot, a Rossi 24 inch rifle octagon barrel and a colt python in 357 to another spot and then a marlin in 44 and model 29Smith to another. I also layed on Glocks and kel Tecs in 9mm and 40 with mags and ammo. My grab bags all have 5.56 rifles and Glocks in 40 with barrels in 9mm and 357 sig mags and ammo. Plus each spot has a 22 rifle and handgun along with 12 gauge pump action shotguns. If I need to bug out I can travel in whatever seems to be the path of least resistance to a hideaway. If I don’t make it, then whoever finds the cache has a nice prize

Back
Top Bottom