• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

Depending on the scenario we could imagine, I think for most everyone, hunting for food will be secondary to scavenging if you don’t already have stockpiles or are in your “bug in” location.

Think about the impractical nature of hunting when you’re trying to avoid human or animal interaction. Can you find game? Can you stay on your land or do you need encroach on other’s? Can you harvest it? Process it? Store it? Defend your quarry? Everywhere you go, even in the sticks, there will be people. Gunshots draw attention. A guy carrying a weapon draws attention. If you have an AR15 and I see you first, I might not want to give you the same benefit of the doubt as a guy walking on my land carrying a lever action…right or wrong, there’s going to be a sizing up of folks outside of one’s “tribe” and how you deal with them.

People are going to loot, people are going to defend what’s theirs. Hunting will be secondary to either scavenging or defending what’s yours from others.

I live between a dozen chicken houses and five pastures of cattle and near a lake. I know some folks and some know me…but if I stray into the wrong area carrying an AR15, I’m pretty sure Farmer Jones’s second cousin who is sitting watch over their fields in a tree stand is going to bust my melon open and I won’t know what hit me. I’m quite sure some suburbanites are going to get hungry and think they can come out here and get free chicken and steak…I don’t want to be confused with them. I honestly can’t picture a scenario East of the Mississippi where your worst threat isn’t a human. Lone wolves won’t do well for long since we can’t watch our own backs, we’ll all need a cooperative tribe.

The biggest message I took from this is that I should purchase NODS 😎

How are you going to outshoot someone with a draco and a drum?
Them dagblamed mulleminals with their fancy commie choppahs ain't no match fer a feller with a 357 or 38 caliber leever action raffle. I bet he'd shoot their eyes out 'afore they could git out of their Dodge Challengers.

You’re mistaken sir! I have an underpowered rifle and an overpowered handgun! 9mm ak & 10mm handgun. Just need to find an apc10 for sale and I can even them up a bit
I don't consider a 10MM handgun to be overpowered for most people and a 10MM PCC or subgun wouldn't be too shabby in an urban environment.
9MM AK? What's the effective range for something like that? More than a pistol yes, but how much more?

NATO rounds for the win. That and buttootie load of 22 for them little rascals' that you might want to put in a pot for eatin. Just my .02
The only non NATO rounds I have considered was .30-06, .243, and .270. Thise habe been around so long and aren't really plinking guns. So finding a small stock pipe can last quite a long time.

Yep, I think most wild game, in most areas will last a few weeks at the very best.
I will be in the Government owned lands. Off limits until the big SHTF lands. Then it won't matter. Back where I will be game will be plentiful. Where I live hunting is the only option and stored food will only be a dire need withdrawal.

Here's another scenario for you. I'm to old to run, got nowhere to go and no one in the immediate vicinity that would cover my back. What are you doing to fortify your houses. When the hoards of looters come storming down the street, this is where I will have to make my stand. If I'm lucky after a week or so, I could recover (loot) some of the essentials you left behind.

AR, pistol, cleaning kit, holster, magazines, ammo. None would look very valuable without food or water. I never understood bugout scenarios for most people who might be better suited staying home. I don’t even understand the implied scenarios most the time.

“News says there is an ice storm coming. Expect bad road conditions and extended power outages. Everyone should drive to the closest WMA and hideout immediately until order is restored and zombies have been eliminated.”

Back
Top Bottom