• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In market for a new 4x4 Pickup - what brand?

I have a gen 2 Tacoma. It's reliable and it's easy to do most maintenance yourself. It's not a redneck Cadillac though. Fairly basic interior and mediocre mileage but the reliability is top notch. There's little doubt in my mind I can put 300k miles on my truck without much likelihood of serious problems. I wouldn't be scared of the current gen if you're going new. If a person just needs a grocery getter the Honda Ridgeline (not really 4WD) is going to be a smoother daily driver because it's basically a car.

Found a 4 door Tacoma in Alabama, 4WD SR model for @ MSRP $38,000+/-. Called them and they said, we have it in stock, but it comes with a $6800 premium over MSRP.

Hmmmmkayyy...I don't need one now and can wait till the market implodes.
I would not pay it either, but, it will be a year to two years before shortages disappear. Who knows what prices will be like.

Found a 4 door Tacoma in Alabama, 4WD SR model for @ MSRP $38,000+/-. Called them and they said, we have it in stock, but it comes with a $6800 premium over MSRP.

Hmmmmkayyy...I don't need one now and can wait till the market implodes.

Riverside in Rome is selling at MSRP.

I actually went by Riverside last week. They had one new sr5 on the lot and three used models. The salesman told me that Toyota told them no more new 4x4’s for them until November. stopped At Hardy Ford, two F150’s on the lot with 5000 added to msrp. Hardy salesman stated that customers are ordering vehicles at msrp. Takes anywhere between three months to five months for delivery on common vehicles. If you order a Bronco still 12 to 18 months out

I actually went by Riverside last week. They had one new sr5 on the lot and three used models. The salesman told me that Toyota told them no more new 4x4’s for them until November. stopped At Hardy Ford, two F150’s on the lot with 5000 added to msrp. Hardy salesman stated that customers are ordering vehicles at msrp. Takes anywhere between three months to five months for delivery on common vehicles. If you order a Bronco still 12 to 18 months out
Lithia Springs Ford has 4 Broncos they are showing in their inventory and as of the last time I drove by there they had at least 3 of them sitting on the lot by the road.

I am a diehard Chevy guy, but want a pickup for the rest of my life. Don't need a monstrous bed and will not be towing a trailer or camper. Has to be 4 wheel drive though.

So here are my thoughts of what I think I may want, and would like your opinions based on experience of each model and what size motor works best ( more so for reliability):

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra
GMC Sierra 1500
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Ford F150

Maybe RAM

Been out of the new car game for a long while because I have always bought used. But the prices on used pickups are very close to new pickups nowadays and some mfrs are offering 0%.
TOP CHOICES:
Toyota Tundra / Tacoma - reliability and resale
F150 - the 5.0 had some timing chain issues. Not sure if they are fixed now. New ecoboosts have proved fairly reliable.
Chevy/GMC 1500 - the 5.3 and 6.2 has some issues w/collapsed lifters.
I would avoid the Ram. Cam / lifter failures in the 5.7. Along w/other issues.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Any idea if they are selling at msrp?
No idea, I am not tuned in enough to the Bronco to really know the cost, I did take a glance on their website the cheapest one was in the 50K plus range and I think the highest trim they had was 66K....but what they show on the net and what happens what they tell ya at the dealership is two different things these days I noticed.

I was in the market for a HD pickup for a truck camper earlier in 2021....I got so frustrated with online pricing not matching the actual pricing I gave up for a while.

Back
Top Bottom