• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In market for a new 4x4 Pickup - what brand?

I am a diehard Chevy guy, but want a pickup for the rest of my life. Don't need a monstrous bed and will not be towing a trailer or camper. Has to be 4 wheel drive though.

So here are my thoughts of what I think I may want, and would like your opinions based on experience of each model and what size motor works best ( more so for reliability):

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra

Ford F150

Been out of the new car game for a long while because I have always bought used. But the prices on used pickups are very close to new pickups nowadays and some mfrs are offering 0%.
These three are worthy contenders... I would buy used because less electronic tech is best.

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra

Ford F150

I did a bunch of research last year. I was thinking Toyota Tundra TRD PRO. But gas mileage is down way below 15 mpg. The stock gas tank is only 26 gallons which will give almost 400 miles or a refill every other day. If you buy new order the 46 gallon tank option.

The 2022 Tundra is due out soon. It will have a Prius style electric hybrid motor that will bring the gas mileage way up into the reasonable range. (20-22 mpg)

The Tacoma is nice. I rented one for two weeks

If you are only going to use the bed occasionally and don’t need heavy truck capacity. The Honda Ridgeline is a nice unibody car with a bed and all-wheel drive.

IMHO the big 3 American auto makers don’t have the same quality and reliability as some of the imports and the gas mileage just isn’t there.

The 2022 Tundra is due out soon. It will have a Prius style electric hybrid motor that will bring the gas mileage way up into the reasonable range. (20-22 mpg)
The 2022 Tundra has been out since Nov 2021 and right now its a hot mess of issues... I was in the market for a full size truck and waiting for it to come out...I won't touch one for at least a few years if ever at this point. They are having plenty of turbo issues and other not typical toyota build quality issues with the new 2022.

I refuse to buy any truck with a turbo !!
I bought a 2021 F150 last year with the 3.3L non-turbo V6 & 10 speed auto...great engine and excellent mileage.
Previously had a 2014 F150 w/5.0L

I agree with you I am the same way

I would buy a couple now while you can to put away in storage, in less than 5 years you will not be able to buy a new 1/2 ton truck from anybody without a turbo engine. Even Ram is dropping the 5.7 for a Turbo inline 6.

Non Turbo gas engines and especially V8's will be 3/4 ton 1 Ton territory very soon.

They don't make 'em to last that long anymore.
My third Tundra since 2007 and none, zero, nada, have been in for anything other than routine maintenance and to shorten the accelerator pedal (because of the chance of floor mats catching on the pedal). Never had ANY warranty repairs performed because NONE were needed. My current one is a 2012 with 88,000 miles and I don't plan to sell it even when I buy a new one.

I do, however, plan to buy a new Tundra model with the hybrid engine once availability increases (i.e., demand subsides). My wife has the same hybrid powerplant, less the turbo setup, in her Lexus SUV and it has been awesome, averaging about 33 mpg. The engine (437 horsepower and 583 pounds per foot of torque with the i-FORCE MAX 3.5-liter Twin-Turbo V6 hybrid) has been proven in several Lexus setups and the Toyota Landcruiser.

Will the new turbo setup last a million miles and is it as reliable as the older V8...

In

Pick up trucks are not made like they use to be because the vast vast majority of people that own them very seldom do pick up truck stuff with them. I drove GMC's for years and put 200 k to 300 k on all of them that had the 5.7 motor. That game dried up and they started putting the 5.3 motor in them that was not as good but still passable. Then they added the AFM system to them and they became POS's. Someone hit and totaled out my 4wd GMC about a year and half ago. I was left scambling for a another vehicle.

I bought a 2wd 2000 Toyota Tundra as a stop gap and am very impressed with this old truck. The 1st gen Tundra's are the same size as the current gen Tacoma's. I hunt and really need a 4wd. I am looking for a 4 wheeler as another stop gap for the upcoming deer season. But based on what I am seeing Toyota's and Honda are the ones worthy of your money if you plan to put alot of miles on them.

Back
Top Bottom