• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In market for a new 4x4 Pickup - what brand?

I am a diehard Chevy guy, but want a pickup for the rest of my life. Don't need a monstrous bed and will not be towing a trailer or camper. Has to be 4 wheel drive though.

So here are my thoughts of what I think I may want, and would like your opinions based on experience of each model and what size motor works best ( more so for reliability):

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra
GMC Sierra 1500
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Ford F150

Maybe RAM

Been out of the new car game for a long while because I have always bought used. But the prices on used pickups are very close to new pickups nowadays and some mfrs are offering 0%.
I LOVE F series trucks going WAY back. But at this point if the magic genie popped out and said " One...1... new rest of your life truck..." I gotta go with the Tundra. Nothing against the Tacoma but if it's THE last truck I will buy maybe from now on then I need it to be a full size truck.

Of all the forums I read it seems like the GM products (newer models) have the most complaints. Colorado/canyon owners are still complaining about transmission issues and factory rear shocks leaking. This has been going on fir about 6 years. GM response, change transmission fluid and reflash computer several times. You would think they would have work out the problem by now. Having said that the ZR 2 is a good looking truck except for the mid 80’s Chrysler k car interior
One of my bosses just traded a 19 Z71 Trail Boss package for a new 2WD Tundra. His Chevy had more bells and whistles but it also had a transmission issue where it would jerk real hard during acceleration. So I told him he bailed out of that one just in time. Warranty or no warranty, that truck was about to have big expensive problems. And as you may already know...it's the Service Manager's job to see that you get screwed out of your warranty claim.

I think part of the problem is trying to meet all the government crap that keeps coming down the line. It seems that in the past few years every manufacturer is putting out vehicles that have more problems than in the past. Will autos become like everything else, TVs, fridges, stoves. Replace the truck every 100,000 miles. 8,9,10 speed transmissions, turbos, hybrids, electric motors. Quality down, prices up. Maybe I need to look at a Maverick and just get a new one every five years

Just for giggles went to Ford site to build a F150. Single cab, 4wd, fx4 package. 48,000 msrp
At Carmax you can get a Tacoma Trd, leather, sunroof, 4wd,, heated seats, nav less than 20,000 miles for 48,000.
Shop around. Carmax is not bad, but shop around. Look at Alabama.
My 2022 Tacoma was 48K OTD, TRD Sport, AT, 4x4, double cab, running boards, navigation, premium paint, full LED headlights, premium navigation, blind spot and cross path detection, 360 view cameras, etc. Dealer added front tint, ceramic paint protection, TRD crash plate, bed extender.

Got mine from a dealer in KY. GA dealers were high as kite.
IMG_20211231_122052325_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211231_121308445_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211231_121343323_HDR.jpg

I did a bunch of research last year. I was thinking Toyota Tundra TRD PRO. But gas mileage is down way below 15 mpg. The stock gas tank is only 26 gallons which will give almost 400 miles or a refill every other day. If you buy new order the 46 gallon tank option.

The 2022 Tundra is due out soon. It will have a Prius style electric hybrid motor that will bring the gas mileage way up into the reasonable range. (20-22 mpg)

The Tacoma is nice. I rented one for two weeks

If you are only going to use the bed occasionally and don’t need heavy truck capacity. The Honda Ridgeline is a nice unibody car with a bed and all-wheel drive.

IMHO the big 3 American auto makers don’t have the same quality and reliability as some of the imports and the gas mileage just isn’t there.
My 21’ Ram 1500 (4x4, Crew Cab, Limited Trim) gets avg 30-34mpg on the highway depending on the trip. I disagree with your fuel mileage statement.
33gal tank and 3.93 gears I get about 800 miles to the tank with mixed Hwy and city driving and over 1000 when it’s all interstate..

Back
Top Bottom