• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In regards to the "Do you practice drawing from your carry holster" Thread.

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
Do you guys practice hammering nails as well?
Do you practice breathing?
Do you practice walking?

When the time comes you are going to **** something up. Trust me when I say this because it will happen. Hell you'll probably even drop your gun.

Don't worry about sitting in front of a mirror drawing your gun over and over again looking like a total retard to everyone around.

You get enough practice pulling you firearm out of your holster every night when you go to bed.

So save your energy and do something I learned many years ago. It was explained to me by a green beret and it is very simple.

STAY CALM. And remember SOFTWARE is more important than HARDWARE. Meaning your mental state is more important than what you got in your hand in this situation.

So buy some yoga pants and learn to relax ladies.

i0.wp.com_www.politicususa.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_02_men_ea4b394dfffab68ce59431f246ceb9e9.jpg

In regards to your question, Do i practice breathing? Yes, i invest time and effort into fitness training to be able to breath better, more controlled, and to be in the overall best shape I can be in which could potential weigh in my favor in a violent encounter or the like. My approach to firearms is the same as fitness. Train. What you put in, you get out. It’s been proven time and again the benefits of dry fire training and even working from your holster and doing various drills, sorta like heavy bag work and shadow boxing. Would ya ask an mma fighter...do you practice fighting?

One example of not “practicing with what ya carry” would be a buddy of mine that carried in a N82 tactical holster that had a unique twist release to remove firearm. One day I asked him how he liked the holster and if he was proficient in draw stroke. He went to draw the pistol and could not retrieve it from the holster. Oops! He said he had never tried it before that day. If that was a violent encounter, dead. I have had articles of clothing I have gotten rid of because it would impede or prevent my draw. To each his own. But I am also relaxed and stay calm as ya said. But how do you stay calm? One way is by controlled breathing...which requires practice. I merge my fitness with firearm training so it’s actually a lot of fun but I don’t wear yoga pants

When the time comes you are going to **** something up. Trust me when I say this because it will It was explained to me by a green beret and it is very simple.

STAY CALM. And remember SOFTWARE is more important than HARDWARE. Meaning your mental state is more important than what you got in your hand in this situation.

I understand what he is saying about a mental state.

I think people would be better served to consider a slow draw or NO DRAW more important than a QUICK Draw.

Meaning: Do I really need to confront this person/situation with a weapon?
Is there a safe retreat available?

If there is a Safe Retreat available....Take it.

Bypass Bypass I feel like you are trolling but yes the goal is to practice correctly until you can do it without thinking about it. When your subconscious can complete the action on its own, it frees your conscious mind to solve other problems. There's a reason that the best of the best (Special forces, competitive shooters, pro sports players, musicians, etc) invest time in practice.

"Perfect practice makes perfect."

Thinking that practice is worthless because you are bound to **** it up, is a serious mindset issue. You are preparing yourself to fail.

I know so many folks that carry a gun for a living, or CCW daily, but they get little to no related training or practice regularly. Yet, these same folks golf, or race, or have other hobbies in which they train and practice. Go to the driving range, or the track, watch training videos, pay for golf pros and racing schools. All of that is more important to them than actually being able to effectively use a firearm.....or they don’t feel that they need it.

There is a commonly held arrogance to American males; just by the virtue of being ‘Murican they are natural born Gunfighters. Being able to use a firearm effectively is an innate skill that all virile males are born with. BS.

Wild Bill Hickok fired 12 rounds every single morning. He used a pair of 1851 Colt Navy revolvers and knew that damp could get to the powder easily, as they were cap n’ ball revolvers. Every morning he fired off all 12 rounds, cleaned his Colts, and reloaded them. How much do you want to bet that he wasn’t doing a Dump Ex into the ground? I guarantee he used those 12 rounds daily for training; drawing and firing. He is considered the deadliest Gunfighter of the Old West and once dispatched an adversary with a single round at 75 yards. Ever seen the sights on an 1851 Colt Navy? Rudimentary at best. To make a shot like that takes skill. To obtain skill takes practice. Wild Bill’s firing 4,380 rounds a year far exceeds what the vast majority of American “pistoleros” do.

Back
Top Bottom