• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In state transfer of rifles, shotguns and handguns from NON licensee to NON licensee.

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I just found this out today from BATFE Industry Operations Department:

For in state transactions where both are GA residents: A NON licensee can ship a handgun, shotgun or rifle to another NON licensee's residence and you do not have to ship through an FFL holder or to an FFL holder. That also means no transfer fees!

Rifles and shotguns have to be shipped FEDEX, UPS or USPS.

Handguns have to be shipped FEDEX or UPS only. UPS requires next day air.

One other thing I thought was crazy was that you cannot buy a handgun from an FFL holder/dealer unless you are 21 but you can buy a handgun from a private party.

I didn't know this. Decided to do a little research.

Here is a link:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer

And the details:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

We had both interpreted the laws the wrong way. Guess I should have paid more attention to the "shipping guns" threads that floated around.

Here's the link http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf go down to page 178 and it's right there.

It's too easy to get wrapped around what a friend says, the pawnbroker says, the lady at Mail Etc or UPS Store, the gun dealer says and what web forums state. I talked with different people and got different answers and some have FFL licenses to sell and they were either unsure or wrong.

When it comes to whether or not you will go to jail there is only one source for the right answer, BATFE.
I had to call BATFE Industry Operations Dept in order to get the 100% right answer. Even an BATFE criminal enforcement agent wasn't sure if what he told me was right and told me to call Industry Operations because they write and set policy. He did end up being correct though.

This opens up so many possibilities on this site. So much for "If only you were closer"

And by licensee, I am assuming a Federal Firearms License holder right? IE. a dealer right?

LMAO.....sorry but got to add this...only cause on of my pet peaves is watching all the knuckleheads come into the post office...asking for boxes, asking to "borrow" the packing tape....not knowing how to package or ship a package. If you walk into the post office with your 12 guage or 30-30 and ask for a box and packing tape???.....................duh!!......:crazy:

legality isn't the reason i don't ship. to me i want to meet a person i'm selling a gun to. also i want them to see and inspect. too many issues with a buyer saying you misrepresented something etc. i want a man to hold it and see for himself. that way i know he's happy with the buy or trade. not to mention the risk of shipping damage.

This opens up so many possibilities on this site. So much for "If only you were closer"

And by licensee, I am assuming a Federal Firearms License holder right? IE. a dealer right?

I don't believe that it will change a thing, I personally like to see first hand what I am spending upwards of $500 on, and being directly involved with transportation, I know how they handle these packages; If only you were closer!

Back
Top Bottom