• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Inconsistencies in trades...

I think many look on Gunbroker or Armslist for similar guns before listing a price for theirs. The problem is they look at listed prices on those sites; rather than checking the actual selling prices.

I think many look on Gunbroker or Armslist for similar guns before listing a price for theirs. The problem is they look at listed prices on those sites; rather than checking the actual selling prices.
More folks should use Gunbroker for valuation, but it's not always 100% accurate (shilling happens). Armslist you really have no idea what the selling price was.

On Gunbroker it's not hard to do. Click Advanced, then Completed Items. Do your search and check closed items that actually sold. Check condition (if you don't know, get a guide on grading, found in the front of older Blue Books, NRA grading is an excepted norm) and you can guess what your gun is bringing.....on gunbroker. A lot of buyers do not use gunbroker so you can't always rest assured that your valuation is 100% accurate. A lot of sellers have no idea what they are selling, poor research, lack of research resources, etc., can lead to under pricing. That's good if you are buying though.

Yep, I keep looking for someone selling a 1911 attachment for their Singer sewing machine. :rolleyes:
unrelated to guns but to sellers not knowing.......

About 16 years ago I was researching something on ebay (back when you could use boolean search ops) and happened to see a listing (closed unfortunately) for a "Webb Sterling Silver Salt Shaker." The photo was of a colonial pepper pot and it wasn't the 20th Century Webb silversmiths but rather the Boston silversmith working in the early 18th Century having the same last name. So, the ebay seller received his handsome sum of $68 for the "salt shaker" but later that same "Pepper Pot" sold for over $12,000 at Skinner. I thought I was going to vomit.

You never know I guess.

Look up their trade merchandise in the Blue Book of prices and show them if the Blue Book prices is less, and should they contend that theirs is worth more than the Book shows, turn and walk away, and never look back... We have done that more than once...

Back
Top Bottom